Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Robin Williams

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 71 Replies
6 moms liked this

I am sitting here crying watching the GMA tribute to Robin WIlliams.  I still cannot believe it.  Such an amazing talent and human being gone.  I loved each and everyone of his movies and who can forget "Mork and Mindy!"  So sad that he battled addiction and depression and lost.  Robin Roberts talked with Dr. Jen about depression and the stigma attached to it.  Robin Williams was more open about his addictions, but not the depression.  Why is that?  Because people look down on you.  Like they were saying when you have chemo you lose your hair, etc. it's easier to see a physical illness, but a mental illness people think "it's all in your head."  I truly hope Robin Williams unexpected and very sad death brings awareness about depression and mental illness.  I hope people will think now that it is real and it can happen to anyone, even someone who appears on the outside to always be happy.  The guy was a comedian, for Pete's sake!  I hope this is Robin William's legacy that he leaves behind, that people will start understanding that depression is a real and very serious illness.  SO, so sad.  sad

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucy164
by Peggy on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I was never able to hide my depression from anyone.  People just looked at me and could see the sorrow.  I think that it was a good thing for me because people would actually try to comfort me.

Robin Williams did just the opposite.  Somehow I think it"s harder for men to admit that they are depressed.  Maybe they think that people would think them weak.

I also was horrified when I heard about it.  I could not sleep last night.

bambismom
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I know, I'm still crying watching GMA. I don't know if I have ever been affected by a celebrity's death this much.  The only other one that comes to mind was JFK, jr, he was so young, that was also so tragic. 

Quoting lucy164:

I was never able to hide my depression from anyone.  People just looked at me and could see the sorrow.  I think that it was a good thing for me because people would actually try to comfort me.

Robin Williams did just the opposite.  Somehow I think it"s harder for men to admit that they are depressed.  Maybe they think that people would think them weak.

I also was horrified when I heard about it.  I could not sleep last night.

mamalena137
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I keep tearing up thinking about Robin Williams. The thing with depression is a lot of people just seem to think it's just being really sad and that we should just be able to snap out of it, like a bad mood. It just goes to show, some people are better at hiding it than others. I keep thinking of the song Tracks of my Tears

"People say I'm the life of the party, 'Cause I tell a joke or two, Although I might be laughing loud and hearty, Deep inside I'm blue"

deltathree
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Very very sad :(  I loved him & his work.

Agree so much with this:

I hope people will think now that it is real and it can happen to anyone, even someone who appears on the outside to always be happy. 

bambismom
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM

He sure did hide it well.  He did so much for others, it is too bad he was hurting so inside and that somebody couldn't help him. 

Quoting mamalena137:

I keep tearing up thinking about Robin Williams. The thing with depression is a lot of people just seem to think it's just being really sad and that we should just be able to snap out of it, like a bad mood. It just goes to show, some people are better at hiding it than others. I keep thinking of the song Tracks of my Tears

"People say I'm the life of the party, 'Cause I tell a joke or two, Although I might be laughing loud and hearty, Deep inside I'm blue"

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM
I knew that he had suffered from mental illness as well as addiction but I had hoped that he beat it. It's hard to think of someone like that as fallible. And the saddest thing is with all of his success if he couldn't beat it, what does that mean for the rest of us. I feel so awful about this. Such a sad situation but idk if it could have been avoided. It happens so often in our society.
happyolechimp
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
human tragedy... :-(
bambismom
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I do hope that this brings awareness about mental illness and that society starts to believe it is real.  I know you wonder if he couldn't get help, how can anyone else, but I think he just did such a good job of hiding it that nobody thought it was that bad. 

Quoting dizzy77702: I knew that he had suffered from mental illness as well as addiction but I had hoped that he beat it. It's hard to think of someone like that as fallible. And the saddest thing is with all of his success if he couldn't beat it, what does that mean for the rest of us. I feel so awful about this. Such a sad situation but idk if it could have been avoided. It happens so often in our society.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

So sad and tragic.

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Unfortunately, until the way mental illness is portrayed on tv and movies is changed and the news stops sensationalizing it and only showing the extremes, societal attitudes towards mental illness aren't going to change. I don't think robin Williams death is going to change this. In our society mental illness equals weakness. It's so sad how we as a society are so accepting of many other minority groups and religions and sexual orientation but mental illness is looked down upon.

Quoting bambismom:

I do hope that this brings awareness about mental illness and that society starts to believe it is real.  I know you wonder if he couldn't get help, how can anyone else, but I think he just did such a good job of hiding it that nobody thought it was that bad. 

Quoting dizzy77702: I knew that he had suffered from mental illness as well as addiction but I had hoped that he beat it. It's hard to think of someone like that as fallible. And the saddest thing is with all of his success if he couldn't beat it, what does that mean for the rest of us. I feel so awful about this. Such a sad situation but idk if it could have been avoided. It happens so often in our society.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)