Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Anxiety Meds

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM
  • 19 Replies
My son is 20 & has had serious anxiety & panic attacks since he was in 3rd grade. He started taking zoloft years ago & says it helps a bit but not much.I'm trying to convince him to go back to the doctor & ask to try something different but he keeps telling me nothing will probably work for him. Has anyone had real success with their anxiety on a certain medication? I'd like to have a short list of meds to suggest for him to ask about when I finally get him in to the doctor.
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 18 and she has taken Prozac for a year now.  She's not had a panic attack since.  And she's an amazingly happy go lucky girl with the meds.  Without, she's a nightmare.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I've heard good things about celexa
kika.fleur
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM

I went to see a psychiatrist to get my prescription. I get both an anti-depressant and something for the anxiety.

I also go see a psychotherapist to help me deal with the root reasons of the depression and anxiety. For me, these are symptoms of PTSD, so we worked on the reasons I have PTSD, my triggers, desensitizing my reaction to triggers and rewiring how my brain responds to them (using a technique called EMDR.) We also worked on coping skills, etc.

Both the psychotherapist and the psychiatrist work together. The former referred me to the latter.

If your son had been seeing a general practitioner for his meds, I suggest that he switch to a psychiatrist. And if he's not currently seeing a therapist, perhaps he'd consider working with one? I know that it helped me a lot, and shifted a lot of old stuff so that I was able to move forward with my life.

Good luck.

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope your son finds something that works for him. I've tried Xanax, clonopin, Ativan, buspar, visterol and something herbal 5htp. I had a bad reaction to Xanax and the others don't help much. I did try Valium and that seemed to work best. You might suggest that. My anxiety has been pretty hard to treat also. Some doctors are reluctant to prescribe it bc it can be addictive but a lot of them can be too. It's worth a try. Good luck.
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:12 AM
1 mom liked this

i take klonopin for mine but i have taken ativan, xanax and valium in the past. klonipin works best for me but they are all addictive.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM
I would be extremely careful recommending benzodiazipines like konopin ativan xanax etc. They are highly addictive and even when taken normally stop working after a while making the anxiety a lot worse. Does he do mefitaton relaxation techniques or have a weighted blanket!
AnneMarg40
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM
I will mention the relaxation technique & weighted blanket.Not sure what he is doing right now for that.Thank you :-)

Quoting matreshka: I would be extremely careful recommending benzodiazipines like konopin ativan xanax etc. They are highly addictive and even when taken normally stop working after a while making the anxiety a lot worse. Does he do mefitaton relaxation techniques or have a weighted blanket!
AnneMarg40
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I have been trying to get him to go to therapy but he absolutely refuses. I know it would probably help so I'm not giving up.Thank you for your input. I am glad you found good help with your own situation:-)

Quoting kika.fleur:

I went to see a psychiatrist to get my prescription. I get both an anti-depressant and something for the anxiety.

I also go see a psychotherapist to help me deal with the root reasons of the depression and anxiety. For me, these are symptoms of PTSD, so we worked on the reasons I have PTSD, my triggers, desensitizing my reaction to triggers and rewiring how my brain responds to them (using a technique called EMDR.) We also worked on coping skills, etc.

Both the psychotherapist and the psychiatrist work together. The former referred me to the latter.

If your son had been seeing a general practitioner for his meds, I suggest that he switch to a psychiatrist. And if he's not currently seeing a therapist, perhaps he'd consider working with one? I know that it helped me a lot, and shifted a lot of old stuff so that I was able to move forward with my life.

Good luck.

Chirinos
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:59 PM
I have PTSD, Depression, Bipolar, and Anxiety. I take Viibryd 40mg @ bedtime, Geodon 240mg @ bedtime, Xanax 1.5mg @ bedtime and it has really helped me. I have not had a panic attack for over a year until a week and a half ago I was a nervous wreck about having surgery I ended up having a couple of panic attacks before surgery.
fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I find CLONODINE at night to be very helpful! Along with a low dose of ABILIFY 5mg. I also take Effexor XR in the ma for depression;this combo works well for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)