Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you seem to get more depressed during the holiday season

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM
  • 47 Replies

I seem to find myself getting more depressend during the holidays.

I know one reason is because that was my big holiday with my dad. His B'day would fall on Thanksgiving because sometimes it would fall in Thanksgiving.

But even then after Thanksgiving I am still trying to get thinks done for Christmas and New Years.

I know my SAD is also bad and always have been

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Group Admin on Nov. 9, 2014 at 5:09 AM
No, I get happier. It keeps me occupied.
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I get very stressed out which leads to depression. Dh and his family are all about lots of presents and it upsets me. My dad has Alzheimer's and that upsets me.
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I usually do. But I realized and more importantly accepted that family is overrated. Usually this time of year family members are only nice to each other on holidays and go right back to the way they were the rest of the year. Smh. It seems like the only time families get together are for holidays during this season and funerals. I realized that not having family is no longer a sadness but a blessing for me. I can do without the bs.
by Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM
I get happier. Love to see my kids happy faces on those days!!
by Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I get happy mostly during christmas time, I love the movies and music and the cheerful feelings in the air. I hate the snow though....

Thanksgiving on the other hand, I hate it. I don't like the food and then cleaning it all up, but I do look forward to seeing the parade.

by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I tend to get depressed around the holidays because my grandma passed away right before Thanksgiving in 2005 and we were really, really close.  I miss her alot and the holidays are the hardest for me :(

by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I love the holidays and look forward to it every year.  When I get depressed is January.   January through April is hardest for me because I'm tired of the cold and spring is so far off where I live that all the brown outside will get me down.  I'd like to take a vacation during that time but I get to vacation based upon my husbands conferences and unfortunately, he's decided he likes to go to one in December when I don't want to leave.  I know he doesn't do it on purpose but I'd rather just stay home but then he would be sad so I go.  I know I should be excited and thankful to go, but I'm not.  I do have great fun, so I guess I should shut up and again, be thankful. 

by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I also get more depressed. I know the weather has to do with it (it's often nice here in Winter, but not as sunny as Fall, which I love!)

Also, too much going on. 3 family birthdays (out of 5) in one month, travel to the in-laws twice and for a long time, where there is loads of drama and loads of days where we sit around and do nothing but try to keep siblings from fighting at meals and kids from dying of boredom. In-laws are nice, but we don't have much in common, and they don't think much of me (I don't craft or clean enough and like to be alone a lot, plus they are "social media users are losers" people, so I get to hear lots of value judgements)

PLUS as matreshka says, it's all about the presents for the kids, which one wants expensive stuff (his own iPad when we can't afford one), one is happy, and one is never happy, even if she gets most stuff on her list plus a surprise.

Plus, all the school activities pile on in addition, and church activities.

And my parents visit, which means things have to be very clean and they are hard to entertain as well, their health is not good, and they (my father mostly) are kings of silent disapproval, which stresses me out.

I do like to be busy, which is why when school is in session and I'm able to volunteer there around the people I like, doing work which is useful and valued, and occasionally paid, I'm not depressed. But there is less school at this time, which means I don't get to be in my place where I belong and feel wanted and competent.

My favourite day of the year is usually around Jan 15, when normal comes back <3. Normal is work and school and reading and scouts and lazy mornings, and normal is good enough.

by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I went into depression deeper on the anniversery of my mom's death in August. I am trying to work my way out of it now. I seem to have a few more problems around the holidays now that I can't do what I want.

by on Nov. 11, 2014 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I get extremely depressed around the holidays. I just take more meds and FAKE that I'm some what happy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)