• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Effects of work schedule on sleep and depression

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

I remember some years ago a woman told me that because she suffers with depression and anxiety, she needs to be able to lay down at night. I didn't quite understand until I was diagnosed with depression and self-diagnosed with anxiety and PTSD.

I just got a job working evening shift and by the time I get home, it is midnight. It takes me until about 2 or 3 a.m. just to get to sleep. Once I get to sleep I have to sleep almost until it is time to go back to work. There have been times already that I almost overslept, missed breakfast and lunch and have to rush to work while still feeling sleep deprived. On Friday, I was at my locker and somehow hit my head on the locker's (next to it) combination lock. In addition to my sleep and sleep schedule being off, I noticed I have been more melancholy, angry, feeling lonely and stressed more now. Sigh. So I have been strongly considering looking for another job with daytime hours so I can start feeling better again. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks for "listening".  

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM
If you are depressed, no matter what time it is you will feel like that!
luvmia
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Well actually that is not true in my case. And just so you know, not everyone's depression is the same as the next person's depression. When I was going to sleep no later than 10 p.m. and waking up no later than 6 a.m., I felt well rested, happy and clearer in thought. Now that it has changed, I am not at my best.

Quoting mrsary: If you are depressed, no matter what time it is you will feel like that!

rhodaj
by rho on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM

It is hard going to work espicially on a afternoon or midnight shift. It may take your body a little while to get into the habit of working the afternoon shift. It takes u time to wind down and night when you get home just like working days.  When I went back to work it took me almost a month to get my body in the habit of working afternoons. I didn't think I would ever make it. Even though the job didn't even last my probation time due to pnemonia I did finally get in the routine.

matreshka
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 7:20 AM

At least with health care jobs around here they start you off on the off shift and move people around when spots open up. is that a possibility for you?

When my routine is messed with I get disoriented.  It used to be that a change in routine would refresh me, but now that is not the case.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM
I work at 6am and I never feel fully rested no matter what time I go to sleep. Sometimes I think about changing my schedule to go in a little bit later, but I like getting off at 230 in the afternoon
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Dec. 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM

do you think you could get them to transfer you to day shift where you are currently at?

lucy164
by Peggy on Dec. 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I know that I have to have a consistent schedule to function at my best.

luvmia
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Thank you for responding.

I am glad that someone can relate to what I am going through. Like you, a change in routine refreshed me. But as soon as I had all these problems along the way and became depressed, a change in my sleep schedule really throws me off. I tell myself that I am going to allow myself to sleep but when I do, I feel really strange all over and my stomach feels like it is upset. I can't really explain it better than this.When I had problems with my sleep in the past, it made my depression MUCH worse.

Since I have only been on the job less than a month, I doubt that they will switch me. So to help myself to not have any relapses, I have decided to resign after my shift today.

Quoting matreshka:

At least with health care jobs around here they start you off on the off shift and move people around when spots open up. is that a possibility for you?

When my routine is messed with I get disoriented.  It used to be that a change in routine would refresh me, but now that is not the case.

EvaStylemom419
by on Dec. 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM
I have the same problem. When I dnt get enough sleep my mood isnt good and I feel foggy the next morning. I agree with you about finding another job with a day shift. Sleep is important for your health. Do you live in NY?
MissMackiesgg
by on Dec. 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I am like you. When I worked evenings I came home and needed an hour or two to unwind. I couldn't just go to bed and go to sleep. I set and alarm so that I had my 2 hour period and six hours of sleep. If I got more than 6 hours I felt like crap. By setting my alarm so that I got up at the same time every day, I did function better. I don't say that that would work for you, but it may be worth a try.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)