• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is melatonin a depression trigger?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
Took 9 mg to sleep last night and unable to get out of bed! Had nightmares while sleeping and depressed like when i was drinking (recovering alcoholic). Maybe i took too much? I
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MrsMama030912
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Kinda weird I've been taking it at night in place of the klonopin and I've woken up very depressed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhodaj
by rho on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I looked this up and this is what I found

Does Melatonin Make Depression Worse?

| By Laura Niedziocha
For some, taking melatonin can lead to depression. Photo Credit woman in depression image by pavel siamionov from Fotolia.com

Your body follows a circadian rhythm, a series of sleep-wake cycles that are regulated by your brain. In some individuals, this preset system is faulty, which can cause sleep problems, fatigue and even depression. Melatonin is a hormone in your body that works to help regulate your internal rhythm. Some take it to help with sleep problems, others for mood, but before you consider taking this, you should be aware of the side effects, such as depression. Before taking any supplement, always consult with your doctor

mrsary
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Wow! Thanks!!

Quoting rhodaj:

| By Laura Niedziocha
For some, taking melatonin can lead to depression. Photo Credit woman in depression image by pavel siamionov from Fotolia.com

Your body follows a circadian rhythm, a series of sleep-wake cycles that are regulated by your brain. In some individuals, this preset system is faulty, which can cause sleep problems, fatigue and even depression. Melatonin is a hormone in your body that works to help regulate your internal rhythm. Some take it to help with sleep problems, others for mood, but before you consider taking this, you should be aware of the side effects, such as depression. Before taking any supplement, always consult with your doctor

rhodaj
by rho on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Your Welcome

Quoting mrsary: Wow! Thanks!!
Quoting rhodaj:

| By Laura Niedziocha

MrsMama030912
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Good to know. Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seashell77
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I take 5 mgs. melatonin to sleep. I don't think I've been having any of these side effects. Sorry you are having them. Thanks for sharing this new info about how it can effect depression.  here too. Hope you feel better

matreshka
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 7:01 AM

i would ask a pharmicist.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I don't know

lucy164
by Peggy on Dec. 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Maybe you did take too much.  Could you sleep with 5mgs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)