Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BPD

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM
  • 25 Replies
Anyone here deal with Borderline Personality Disorder? I was diagnosed less than a year ago. I'd like to learn new and different coping strategies. Journaling is one that right now helps me the most
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnunley
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:45 AM
I have mdd with BPD traits. Seeing a therapist who uses cbt and dbt therapy help.

Valerie_Swaby
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:46 AM
Thanks!! :)
unbreakable307
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Sorry but be prepared to get a shit storm of people like me, who just think ur full of it, ive had doctors say its just an excuse to be an asshole and get away with treating people like ahit
Valerie_Swaby
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM
I didn't want this diagnosis trust me. It's been pure hell. I don't do it for attention and I don't treat people like shit.
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you'd be excited and happy if a bunch of people came in this thread and trashed her.

What a delight you are.

Borderline Personality Disorder is real.  People do get it.

As with all diagnoses, some will be undiagnosed, others will be diagnosed incorrectly, and a few will self diagnose.   Those who self-diagnose are usually wrong, especially when it comes to borderline.  

But if a decent professional health care provider is doing the diagnosing, the diagnosis is very likely to be on the mark.

Borderline has occupied a difficult position in diagnostics for many years.  Some time ago, it was named 'Borderline' because it was thought it straddled a theoretical line between 'Neurosis' and 'Psychosis'.   Neurosis was the term used for some of what we call personality disorders today, but overall, 'Neurosis' was the term for less disruptive disorders.

'Psychosis' was the term for severe disorders like bipolar, schizophrenia and very severe depression.

Borderline was thought to have aspects of both, neurosis and psychosis.   Under extreme stress, people with borderline MAY have much more severe symptoms.   Thankfully most cases of borderline are mild and present mild, though painful difficulties.

Thinking has changed a lot on borderline.  Some authors will describe it as a difficulty with controlling emotions or conceptualizing certain kinds of experience and incorporating it into one's life.  

The treatment somewhat reflects its history and variety.  IF the person has more severe symptoms, they're treated, briefly, as separate symptoms.   Much of the time, counseling and CBT are recommended.

A particular problem with Borderline is depression.   My friend's husband had it and he had several episodes of depression.   I asked her why she refused to acknowledge that he could have depression.   'Because he's just faking it!'   She insisted that people with borderline don't get depressed.   That would be incorrect.

In any case, a different picture is emerging with borderline today.   It's no longer thought to be 'impossible to treat'.   Treating the brief symptoms and using CBT actually seems to lead to better insight and living a much better quality life.

Quoting unbreakable307: Sorry but be prepared to get a shit storm of people like me, who just think ur full of it, ive had doctors say its just an excuse to be an asshole and get away with treating people like ahit

Valerie_Swaby
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much for your reply. I wouldn't wish this mental illness in anyone. It is so hard to deal with sometimes. One of the hallmark signs of BPD is an intense and irrational fear of abandonment. Also is the difficulty in regulating emotions. I deal with both of those and more.
MissMackiesgg
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry that you have this to cope with. It can be so devastating. {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

This is what Jodie Arias was dx'ed with. She stabbed her ex boyfriend 39 x's, slit his throat, and shot him in the head. All because he didn't want to date her anymore and was dating someone else. I would say that she had a very irrational fear of abandonment.

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 2:41 PM

All respect due the doctors who diagnosed Jody Arias, I don't think that was her problem.  Since she was diagnosed while incarcerated and facing trial, largely based on her own behavior at the time and statements she herself made, I don't put much truck in it.   The defense wants to present the client's mental state as most likely to reduce penalty(that's his job), whereas the prosecution wants to make the person seem mentally 'well', but selfish, greedy, oversexed, a bad temper, whatever, that's his job.

In other words, our legal system is adversarial, and so not the best place to get a diagnosis.  If she were diagnosed ith that before the trial, it may or may not be a 'good call' depending on who did the diagnosis.

Borderline is another diagnosis that is getting pulled over into the 'pop psychology' fold and is becoming an odd sort of 'darling' of that group.

Most of the people I know who have borderline don't run around killing their boyfriends(none of my friends with bpd have killed anyone).  But as one friend diagnosed with BPD told me, 'I'm sure there's a lot of people who would like to strangle ME for how I act!'  She is actually working very hard on it.  

The man  I knew with borderline would threaten suicide if his girlfriend tried to break up with him.  He would sit on a window ledge cutting his eyelids with a razor blade, she'd come home from work and there he would be.  He had an extreme fear of being left and would do anything to prevent that.

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

I am so sorry that you have this to cope with. It can be so devastating. {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

This is what Jodie Arias was dx'ed with. She stabbed her ex boyfriend 39 x's, slit his throat, and shot him in the head. All because he didn't want to date her anymore and was dating someone else. I would say that she had a very irrational fear of abandonment.

MissMackiesgg
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Oh, I totally agree. I think that she is just a B@#@# that was trying her best to escape from what she did. If you watched any of her testamony, whenever she "cried" her head went down and her hand came up to hide her face so hopefully no one knew that she was faking. I was p'oed when she didn't get death like she gave Travis. In the same manner.

Quoting lancet98:

All respect due the doctors who diagnosed Jody Arias, I don't think that was her problem.  Since she was diagnosed while incarcerated and facing trial, largely based on her own behavior at the time and statements she herself made, I don't put much truck in it.   The defense wants to present the client's mental state as most likely to reduce penalty(that's his job), whereas the prosecution wants to make the person seem mentally 'well', but selfish, greedy, oversexed, a bad temper, whatever, that's his job.

In other words, our legal system is adversarial, and so not the best place to get a diagnosis.  If she were diagnosed ith that before the trial, it may or may not be a 'good call' depending on who did the diagnosis.

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM

My emotional side says I would like to see eye for an eye justiice.  But my realistic side says that an eye for an eye leaves all the world blind...and that jail is not likely to treat such as her too well anyway.

Her chances of making prison 'work for her' are pretty slim.   She comes in looking privileged and not to be trusted.  If she thinks she can run game on any of those gals in there, staff or prisoner, she's up for a pretty shocking surprise.

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

Oh, I totally agree. I think that she is just a B@#@# that was trying her best to escape from what she did. If you watched any of her testamony, whenever she "cried" her head went down and her hand came up to hide her face so hopefully no one knew that she was faking. I was p'oed when she didn't get death like she gave Travis. In the same manner.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)