Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many did it.take...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
to find the.right counselor? I know I probably asked this before but I just need some reassurance that there is light at the end of this mental health professional search tunnel. I already went through.4.counselors. Sigh. I just wish I could find a good one who know what she is doing. But that is hard.to find on medical assistance.

Thanks for "listening".
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MissMackiesgg
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Is there a place that goes based on your income? I have found good counselors there.

luvmia
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yeah. There are.those options but I dont know.exactly.where. I will have to do.a.google.search.

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

Is there a place that goes based on your income? I have found good counselors there.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Apr. 11, 2015 at 4:55 AM
I still haven't found one that I can feel comfortable with.
matreshka
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

well, every clinician comes to the table with their own personal and professional biases.  they are supposed to leave their personal biases at the door but that rarely happens.

professional biases are very real. one clincian will diagnose a person with bipolar disorder while the next will dx that same person with borderline personality disorder and the next will dx that same person with ptsd, all due to professional bias.  that bias is based on areas studied, their own personal interest in the client, and what they choose to focus on and how they choose to treat the client's symptoms.  And who is right?  Are they all right?  Are none right?  Were any actual tests done?

So I guess, figure out what you want to get from therapy, call up another clinic, ask if they take your insurance, ask if they do a general intake to match you up with the right therapist for your needs.

lucy164
by Peggy on Apr. 11, 2015 at 8:33 AM

My second therapist was the right fit for me. 

princessmom2005
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 10:18 AM
The place I go to has trouble holding on to a counselor so I've seen several once or twice over the last few years since my first counselor's retirement. My first counselor was awesome. I didn't always like or agree with what she had to say, but it was always what I needed to hear. The great ones are out there-sometimes they just take a while to find.
luvmia
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Preach sister, preach!

In addition to what you said, the.therapists.also.exhibit.when they arent really listening to you and show when they arent really interested in hearing what you have to say. I.experienced.that with the last.one and one before her. Sigh. I.also.had.those whom were.very.judgmental.by suggesting.I.seek.out.employment before.I.could.get my.depression under.control.

Eventually, I will search for.another one again. But right now I have to.focus on getting other things in order before I.go.through.this mentally draining.search.

Quoting matreshka:

well, every clinician comes to the table with their own personal and professional biases.  they are supposed to leave their personal biases at the door but that rarely happens.

professional biases are very real. one clincian will diagnose a person with bipolar disorder while the next will dx that same person with borderline personality disorder and the next will dx that same person with ptsd, all due to professional bias.  that bias is based on areas studied, their own personal interest in the client, and what they choose to focus on and how they choose to treat the client's symptoms.  And who is right?  Are they all right?  Are none right?  Were any actual tests done?

So I guess, figure out what you want to get from therapy, call up another clinic, ask if they take your insurance, ask if they do a general intake to match you up with the right therapist for your needs.

onlyhalfsane
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM

3. My insurance sucks, I was lucky to find one that'll work with me on payment opinions 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)