Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about my son 😒

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:31 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this
My oldest son is almost 20 and in college in Phikadelphia (about 50 min away). He suffers from anxiety and just texted me that he wants to kill himself b/c his anxiety is so bad. It's making him feel physically ill; he thinks he's going to have a heart attack. He has no actual plan to kill himself; I think he's just had enough of the anxiety. I'm calling my psychiatrists office in the morning to make an appointment for him. I'm hoping they can get him in right away. He used to take a low dose of Zoloft which helped him but stopped taking it months ago. He just started back on it today but he definitely needs a psychiatrist ASAP to monitor him (the meds were prescribed by our family dr). I'm actually sick with some bug right now, but am hoping that I'm doing enough to help him. He's going to get into bed and watch a movie now. I'll call him again in a bit then call the psychiatrist in the a.m. 😢
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
captainjack
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:59 PM

Praying for him he needs to see a dr

Quoting momwriter: My oldest son is almost 20 and in college in Phikadelphia (about 50 min away). He suffers from anxiety and just texted me that he wants to kill himself b/c his anxiety is so bad. It's making him feel physically ill; he thinks he's going to have a heart attack. He has no actual plan to kill himself; I think he's just had enough of the anxiety. I'm calling my psychiatrists office in the morning to make an appointment for him. I'm hoping they can get him in right away. He used to take a low dose of Zoloft which helped him but stopped taking it months ago. He just started back on it today but he definitely needs a psychiatrist ASAP to monitor him (the meds were prescribed by our family dr). I'm actually sick with some bug right now, but am hoping that I'm doing enough to help him. He's going to get into bed and watch a movie now. I'll call him again in a bit then call the psychiatrist in the a.m. 😢

**We're wanting more admin for our Time Out for You group,

If interested send me a PM :)

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 1:43 AM

you are doing the right thing. he needs to get help. check on him frequently and try to get him in asap. prayers going up for him.

marney.p
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 2:04 AM

Im sorry your son feels like that. Anxiety is awful. Hope he feels a little better. Could he maybe cut back on some classes and study part time insted. Some people can only study that way.

Bibbidibobidibo
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM
Man, it sucks that when the medication makes us feel better we want to stop taking it, no matter who we are or what type of ailment we have. I hope he gets some relief soon and that you feel better as well.
Memere60
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM

My daughter started to get like that when she was in school. We talked about it a lot, and the answer for her was to lessen her course load, and she graduated a semester late.

Yes, please get him the help to cope with this, and I would even say bring him home for awhile if you need to.

What is he going to school for?  

loves2readYA
by on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:52 PM

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry. I can imagine how worried you are. My son is the same age. Are you connected to any of his friends there? Is there anyone who can check in on him from time to time and keep you posted?

Last year at this time my son was suffering from extreme stress and anxiety. With him, it was the major he was studying. It wasn't a right fit, and he was sick about it. He was afraid to tell us about his desire to switch majors, but after he told us, we helped him work through a new plan.

I'd make sure he knows that you love him no matter what he decides with school. Kids are under so much pressure these days...it's relentless. If he knows he has your support no matter what, and that he doesn't need to be a superman, it may help alleviate some of that anxiety.

Praying for your son...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)