Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help?? Hypomanic/manic? *update 2

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have bipolar 1 mixed episode, borderline personality, and PTSD. I have been doing really well mood wise. Both my therapist and psychiatrist reduced the frequency I see them because I have been so stable. Now on to my question I think I am sliding into a full on hypomanic/manic phase. I say this because my mood is not just good, but GREAT, I feel amazing (usually a bad sign). Also I have boundless energy (odd for me because I have chronic fatigue & fibromyalgia) and I am sleeping very little.Other than that I have been able to control other manic impulses (like to over spend). But how do I calm myself down and remain stable...instead of manic? I'm taking medication as prescribed. It has been a long time since I was full on manic (usually as my diagnosis suggests it is a combo of manic and depressed at the same time...this time not depressed at all). My question is are there coping skills I should be using to reduce this the severity of this phase or to calm it down? Should I call my therapist to get in, even if I feel fine, and I am not doing anything 'bad' other than not sleeping much. Or should I call my psychiatrist? I really don't think it is a medication issue though because I've been stable so long, and I hate to go through the process of finding new medications.

I'm just a little confused how to handle this, because in therapy I've always been taught and we go over coping skills for my depressive symptoms because those are the ones that have caused the most problems in the past.

Also could it be that I'm just really happy and not manic? How do I tell? ugh....sorry this is so long...Advice?

UPDATE

Therapist called. She said since I am controlling most manic impulses fairly well, and trying to use coping skills. She is not concerned about me being manic at this point, she is more concerned (as am I) about the crash to depression that usually follows. She advised me to call my psychiatrist to see if there was a way to avoid the crash. So I called the psychiatrist's nurse told her what was going on and asked how to avoid a crash. She said she'd talk to my psychiatrist and call me back.

UPDATE 2

So I have been trying to get a hold of my psychiatrist. Her nurse finally called me back, but the message she had from my psychiatrist answered ZERO of my questions and then was asking if I want type of medication adjustment I was wanting. I told the nurse what I was asking (how to avoid the crash to depression after a manic episode) and told her as far as medication adjustments I wasn't sure if I needed one or not, but if I did I am okay with it if it will prevent a crash.The nurse said she'd talk to the psychiatrist again and get back to me tomorrow. I am so frustrated because I basically repeated myself to the nurse today, the same stuff I said the last time I called...how hard is it for the psychiatrist to understand. And why the hell is she asking me what medication adjustment I want??!! I'm not a freaking doctor, hell if I know.

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 5:55 AM
They have mood tracking charts on the web. Might even have apps now days. Talk to your doc and see if your meds need adjusted.
MasonGsMomma
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not sure but good luck! My DH has manic depression and multiple other disorders as well, so Im interested in the responses..
momwriter
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd touch base with your therapist and see if he thinks you should talk to the psychiatrist. I would just hate to see this "up" shift downward to depression later on... Maybe you are just very happy but I'd discuss with a professional, especially b/c you're not sleeping and still have energy.
Seashell77
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:09 PM

Hi, I just saw your post. I'm glad you got in touch with the nurse and she'll be getting back to you. I just have bad depression, don't know as much about manic. But I don't blame you for trying to prevent a crash. Sounds wise to me. I noticed you're new at our group. Glad you joined us. It's a fantastic group of people and it's a supportive, caring environment. welcome

Nicholy10
by Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM

My psychiatrist never called me back. Ugh so frustrated. Hopefully she calls tomorrow

Quoting Seashell77:

Hi, I just saw your post. I'm glad you got in touch with the nurse and she'll be getting back to you. I just have bad depression, don't know as much about manic. But I don't blame you for trying to prevent a crash. Sounds wise to me. I noticed you're new at our group. Glad you joined us. It's a fantastic group of people and it's a supportive, caring environment. welcome

Seashell77
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Oh man, I'm so sorry she hasn't got back to you. I'd be really frustrated too. If you don't hear from her by tomorrow, I'd give her a call tomorrow. Are you able to sleep any better ? 

Quoting Nicholy10:

My psychiatrist never called me back. Ugh so frustrated. Hopefully she calls tomorrow

Quoting Seashell77:

Nicholy10
by Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM

No not at all. But I am not tired. 

Quoting Seashell77:

Oh man, I'm so sorry she hasn't got back to you. I'd be really frustrated too. If you don't hear from her by tomorrow, I'd give her a call tomorrow. Are you able to sleep any better ? 

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Seashell77
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM

I feel for you. I know it's hard going with less sleep. Is there any medicine you can take that will make you sleepy ? I take melatonin. 

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Nicholy10
by Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:23 PM

I take Saphris at night, usually makes me sleepy....except when I am manic. I can't take melatonin, it makes me suicidal.

Quoting Seashell77:

I feel for you. I know it's hard going with less sleep. Is there any medicine you can take that will make you sleepy ? I take melatonin. 

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Seashell77
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:26 PM

Maybe a warm bath or shower. A cup of sleepytime tea. Relaxing music. Read a really boring book...lol  Those things makes me sleepy. 

Quoting Nicholy10:

I take Saphris at night, usually makes me sleepy....except when I am manic. I can't take melatonin, it makes me suicidal.

Quoting Seashell77:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Seashell77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)