Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attack :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I feel like I'm having a panic attack I dont know what brought this on and I don't know what to do to calm it down :( this is the first one I've had in a little while please help :(
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cenedra64
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM
Breath relaxing breaths. Take a warm soothing bath
momwriter
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM
Are you feeling any better now? Have you seen a dr or therapist about this? My son used to have panic attacks and he saw a therapist and occasionally took Ativan when it was really bad.πŸ˜’
theflawedone
by New Member on May. 27, 2017 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I have anxiety as well as other disorders. My therapist told me this today.

Look for 5 things, touch 4, hear 3, smell 2 and taste 1. It helps to ground you.

lucy164
by Peggy on May. 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I recently had a panic attack and took 1/2 klonopin and felt much better.  Could you get something like that from your doctor?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM
I need to get back in to see my doctor it's hard cause he's about an hour away. I know I probably shouldn't have stopped taking my meds. Probably doesn't help that I'm isolated...

Quoting momwriter: Are you feeling any better now? Have you seen a dr or therapist about this? My son used to have panic attacks and he saw a therapist and occasionally took Ativan when it was really bad.πŸ˜’
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM
I have some Ativan still but not sure if I can take it. It was filled out in feb.

Quoting lucy164:

I recently had a panic attack and took 1/2 klonopin and felt much better.  Could you get something like that from your doctor?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM
My whole weekend was a roller coaster and my partner didn't make it any better...he's good at pushing me over the edge to my breaking point

Quoting momwriter: Are you feeling any better now? Have you seen a dr or therapist about this? My son used to have panic attacks and he saw a therapist and occasionally took Ativan when it was really bad.πŸ˜’
momwriter
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Yes, definitely get back on your meds if they were helping. What were you taking? Being isolated is hard...I need to reach out to family and friends when I feel my mood "slipping". :(

Quoting Anonymous 1: I need to get back in to see my doctor it's hard cause he's about an hour away. I know I probably shouldn't have stopped taking my meds. Probably doesn't help that I'm isolated...

Mum-2-3
by New Member on May. 29, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Hi there OP,

I sincerely hope that you are feeling better as of now, but if not... don't fret. This will pass. I find that on my hardest days... I breath quick and constantly inhale deeply trying to get that satisfying release. However, this is not helpful for anxiety or panic attacks. It will take a bit of effort and plenty of will power to resist inhaling at the momentum your body feels it needs... though decreasing your inhalation pace and drawing out the exhale to a slower pace will really help calm you. When we breath too quickly, our body does not get the time it needs to convert the carbon monoxide into oxygen in order to release it into our blood. If you watch a baby breath, you'll observe their belly rise and fall. As we age and our stress levels increase, we tend to start breathing with our chest as opposed to drawing from our bellies, resulting in loosing the calming benefits of breathing due to our rapid gasps for air when stressed. I also find researching different methods of coping beneficial. There are many tips and tricks available... best of luck!

Recap, since I may have lost you with all my rambling lol- Slow your breathing down, drawing in using your belly and extend the exhale. Focus on the rise and fall of your belly. Fight the urge to breath quickly or deeply. You should feel the differance within a few moments. Once you begin feeling more relaxed, you can then go for that satisfying deep breath - Only this time you'll feel the release! Repeat whenever you find you can't catch a satisfying breath.   

I hope this helps, and don't get discouraged if you find it is more difficult then you imagined... you'll perfect it with practice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)