Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of taking a cafemom break??

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:43 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

I love cafemom. But I feel that it is affecting me as a mother.

I used to watch too much tv, now I think I am on cafemom too much.(we canceled out tv for a few reasons.)

I am having trouble restricting myself. Mainly because right now I am having a lot of sickness with this pregnancy and dont feel like doing much else.

Dont get me wrong I am not on here all the time. But I am finding it to be one of those things that is zapping my time. I also feel that is is going to be too hard for me to just restrict my usage. I feel that it is affecting my home life and my kids.

I dont want to leave cafemom but I al o feel that I am not being the mom that I should be by being on here so much. I dont know how people can be on here all day long. I am on 2-3 times a day and I let it suck me in.

I guess there are always going to be things out there that will suck us in, and I am going to have to learn to avoid them. We homeschool and it is hard not to get sucked into the traps of the outside world. We live out in the country and only have one car(temporiraly, mine is broke down) so I use cafemom as a way to stay in touch with people.

ANy suggestions on how you all avoid being on too much would be great!

I am mostly just sharing my thoughts. I would hate to cancel my cafemom membership. I really like the friends I have made, but I dont like having something that keeps my attention away from my family so easily.

I am torn...

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
COGMOMJen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Well rather than canceling, just take a few days of not being on here at all.  You will go thru withdrawls at first (if your like me lol) but after a few days, you'll realize it's not bad, not being on all the time.  I do this with my FB too once in a while.  I usually just take a day or two off, but it really helps me get back into focus with my time. 

Yes it's normal, I use CM and FB to stay in touch and not feel so secluded as well.  I'm at home ALOT, since I babysit and homeschool..  and we live in a small town.

JenD  SAHM, Homeschooling, Baking, Sewing, Conservative,  Green momma of 4 great kids.  Join me on my blog and Cafe Mom groups: Christian Frugal Living . Sewing Modest

michiganmom116
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I'm with you, but I have my computer on and available all day long.  It's very easy for me to get absorbed in what I'm doing on the computer and to literally be parked in front of it for hours!

I'm disgusted by some of the filth and hatred that I see daily on this site, but it's also got a lot of plusses:  I've made some great friends, I've learned new things, and I have been able to share things.  I was seriously pondering the same thing you are, quitting my account, but I do not want to give up my friends on here.  Trust me, I'm quite close to a few of them, and I have CafeMom to thank for that.  However, it IS cutting into my time as a homemaker, homeschooler, and mom.  This morning I made sure that everything was taken care of (kids fed, laundry going, kitchen cleaned, chores done) before I got online.  I'm going to get off of here shortly and work on some of my projects, I'll probably get online again after lunch and then again this evening to check my group posts.

This is really a self discipline thing.  I'd say to set goals for each day, and after you reach a goal or two, allow yourself time to get online.  Set a timer if you need to, maybe for 30 to 45 minutes, then you have to get back to "real life".

texasmom1800
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I try to just get on in the morning before my son gets up.  He's 8 and sleeps late so that helps.  I've left a few of the CM groups due to the inablity of some to accept other opinions and it turns into an all out war.  Some CM groups it's Godforbid if you have a different opinion than the others.  Take a few days and not get on or set a timer and when it goes off force yourself to get away from the computer.

tiredmomfor2
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Thanks ladies you have expressed my thought better than I could. I am going to take a break for a day or so and the start limiting my time. It is just somehting I am going to have to work on. It is hard like one of th epp said. This my social network. I homeschool and cf and fb are how I talk to people.

But i need to focus on my kids a little more. Dont get me wrong I am not neglecting them. I just need to focus just on them for a few days to get my mind back where it needs to be. So if you see me abscent that is why! Thanks again! You ladies are great!

munchkinaplenty
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I spend way to much time on the computer too.. I am working on breaking the habit.. one thing that helps is to keep a close watch on the time.. hours can go by with us even knowing if we are not careful.. and I am purposely staying out of the journals and answers sections.. mostly anyway

and I am limiting myself to only a few hours a day on here then that's it..the laptop goes off and stays off unless I need to look up a recipe or something for dh.  and no time on the weekend at all.. it is hard at first and some days I fall off the "cm wagon" so to speak..but it is getting better..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)