Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh the Frustration

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 281 Total Views

So my daughter has been peeing and pooping in the toilet since about 6 months old. She is now 10 months. She knows the ASL sign for "potty" and uses it well. For the past week, however, I don't know what is going on with her. She will tell me that she needs to use the potty by signing (rather, waving hands wildly, which can often mean something else other than potty). When I bring her, she fights me with all of her might. She goes rigid or keeps turning in my arms all the while fussing like crazy. When I give up because I think she doesn't really need to go, I put her underwear or diaper back on and set her along her way. Then, 1 minute later, she'll pee!!! I don't understand why she's doing this. It's not like she's just peeing in the diaper without telling me she needs to go. She tells me that she needs to go BEFORE she goes, but won't go when I bring her to the toilet...

I'll try using a potty insert or using her potty and see if that helps. If not, I guess we'll just have to start from square 1 again and start the ECing all over as if we haven't been successfully using the toilet for the past 4 months :(

~Jackie:
Mother of Ariel (8.5.09)
Wife of Richard (3.4.08)

"Never complain of that of which it is at all times in your power to rid yourself."

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cavemama
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Good Luck!!

My son usually gives some cue he's going to poop, and I've had the same problem, where I put him on the potty and he just cried and cried and cried, his little arms out stretched, like"Mama, Pick me up, take me off this horrible thing!" I felt so badly, as though I was forcing him into doing something he was totally not ready to do.  Now he seems to LIKE sitting on the potty, regardless of if he has to go or not.  I think they go through phases, as they come  into their own, and they are trying to assert themselves in the only way they know how,

jconney80
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:34 AM

That sounds very frustrating! I'm sorry you're going through it. Maybe she will like the different potty chair rather than the toilet like you suggested. So you put underwear on her to wear around? Does she have a lot of misses usually before this started? I'm really clueless to how other people EC so I'm interested in this underwear thing.

XComsGirl
by Group Owner on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Well before this "I'm not going to go to the bathroom in the toilet" phase, she was doing really well with ECing, so instead of letting her to diaperless I put on underwear (the carpet gives her a rash). I got the underwear from www.theecstore.com. 

You can use whatever works for you to EC. I started out just using prefolds, then going diaperless while inside, then putting underwear and prefolds back on when she started getting the hang of EC (and when she started getting rashes). I still do diaperless time every day, but it's not all day like it was before.

~Jackie:
Mother of Ariel (8.5.09)
Wife of Richard (3.4.08)

"Never complain of that of which it is at all times in your power to rid yourself."

jconney80
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Thanks. I just started reading "The Diaper Free Baby" yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion about the book! I'm understanding more now. I've seen the EC store before but didn't understand how a lot of it works. What potty do you use?

jconney80
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Sorry I know I have tons of questions! lol

XComsGirl
by Group Owner on Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Questions are good. I'm sure you're asking the same questions other people are thinking. I know I was thinking the same things when I was first starting.

I use the large baby bjorn potty chair. We had originally bought the cheap one from Ikea, but my daughter HATED that one. That's when I started just holding her over the toilet, which she liked for months. Now, she seems to really like the baby bjorn. I think it gives her a feeling of independence that she doesn't have when I'm holding her over the toilet. I got the large potty instead of the smaller one because it has more of a backing to it. Ariel really likes being able to lean back and balance herself with it.

~Jackie:
Mother of Ariel (8.5.09)
Wife of Richard (3.4.08)

jconney80
by Member on Jun. 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I'm glad you told me because I was ready to go the cheap route & buy one from Ikea lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)