Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to save on landscaping

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2007 at 11:08 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 191 Total Views
How do I save on landscaping?  We want to move in about 2ish years and I want to get more for my money when we sell our house.  My dad is helping us by building a front porch.  We also want to do some massive landscaping.  Not only do we wnat to do the frontyard but also the backyard.  Our house sits on a little over 1/2  in the fork of a road.  We want to have the back of our property very dence with trees, srubs, and tall grass.  Does any one have or know of any place where we can buy cheap plants.  We are going to grow some from seeds but am looking for trees and srubs. 

by on Jul. 23, 2007 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 23, 2007 at 12:07 PM
Keep a look out at your Home Depot and Lowes for end of season sales on plants and trees.  Last year we bought some Ash and Maple trees for our new house at the end of the season.  We only paid $7.00 each (originally $30)!  They lived through the winter and they are still doing very well. 
Also, Home Depot and Lowes offer a 1 year guarantee on your plants, so if you get something a little cheaper at the end of the season and it dies, you can always bring it back and get a replacement - just save your receipt.  That gives you have a back-up if you have to replace some stuff. 
When getting mulch, I never buy the bags of it from the store.  I go to a po-dunk little nursery in our town that has big huge piles of mulch.  I ask for a yard of mulch and they pile it in the back of my hubby's truck - we just shovel it from the truck to the shrubs when we get home.  It's a bit messier, but cheaper in the end, and you get way more for your money.  Also, if you go in with a nice sweet attitude and are really friendly, you will usually get a bigger scoop of mulch - another of the benefits of being a woman.  lol. 
cyc214
by on Jul. 23, 2007 at 12:15 PM
I am a HUGE gardener.  I save a TON by using michiganbulb.com.  You can order stuff (especially this time of year) for very little.  And since you aren't going for 2 years, your plants will have time to get established.

Also, you can get things that local stores don't carry - much better selection.  And you can see exactly how to plant it, where it will grow best, how tall it will get, etc.

Oh, and if something dies - call them and they will refund your money!

http://www.changingyourclothes.com/

owencomama
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2007 at 11:54 AM
Thanks bunches.  Iam going to try the web site.  How about Burgees(?).  I get mags. from them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)