Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discount grocery stores

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 478 Total Views
When I lived in PA they had one called Aldi's. IT WAS AWESOME! You have to bring your own bags, buy bags or empty boxes as you shopped because they only have cashiers and they don't bag the groceries which save them money and intern saves you money. Also the carts are locked together and they have this thing on them that you put a quarter in to get a cart and if you want your quarter back you have to put the cart away yourself. Again saving them money and you money. Canned veggies were like 30cents, canned fruit 40cents, canned raviolis(which were better than Chef Boyardee in my dd's opinion) around 50cents. Box of cereal was under $2, chip$1 a bag, so on and so forth. It is mainly located in the Eastern states still. Here's a link

www.aldifoods.com

There is another one I just found out about near me. It's called Grocery Outlet. We are going to check it out this Friday. It is mainly West Coast. Here's the link

http://www.groceryoutlets.com/home.aspx

I am still looking for other ones. If you know of any let others know.

Also I lived in FAIRBANKS, AK until last year and there is a Bread thrift store there. We spent 35cents on whole wheat bread, the fancy bread was $1.25. They had all kinds of stuff for snacks and everything. If you live there PM me and I will give you directions.
When Vendors(Frito Lays, Little Debbies, etc...) don't sell all there product on the store shelves they have to take them back. So they have a "Thrift Store" You should check to see if your town has one too.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nanaevelyn
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:50 PM
Just make sure you check the expiration dates on the labels.  Our grocery warehouse sells expired items, so I am careful to check dates.
ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:00 PM
Heck yeah!  I LOVE Aldi's.  I shop there to stock up on everything when my hubby gets OT and we have more money for our grocery budget.  I love that place, and the food is just as good if not better than store brand and name brand stuff elsewhere. 
dilumo84
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 1:06 AM
We have an ALDI in Germany on every corner,thats why i thought,i might could find one close by here in the US,but i would have to drive 4 hours.
Well,well....
fairy74
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 1:33 PM
No Aldi's here, darn.  We have Foods Co. and Food4Less which are pretty good. For dry goods and drinks Big Lots has some good deals.
MommyDQ
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2007 at 12:54 PM
I agree, I love Aldi. They do sell some name brand stuff too, but really cheap. I have made the mistake, their milk and cheese isn't the best, and the bread isn't that good, but I love everything else. I can buy grocerices for a week for about $75. Usually I spend $125 at Walmart.
dkmomglz
by on Aug. 4, 2007 at 10:54 AM
Aldi's is great. I loved it when I lived in Ohio.  Now, I live in South Carolina. In the southern states, the main discount grocery store is Save-A-Lot. I'm not crazy about their meats, but everything else is great. You save about 50% total over your grocery bill at a regular grocery store or Wal-Mart.
vamomof2
by on Aug. 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM
I just recently found out we have gotten an Ald's near by.  I've been there once to get ground meat at a great price but that is all I've gotten so far.  I think I will have to start going more.

We have Food Lions in our area and they have started making some of their Food Lions into "Bottom Dollar" Stores. It's also a discount grocery and they have really good prices.
thedixongang
by on Aug. 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM
We have an Aldi's here and a Grocery Outlet about 20 min. away...I go to Aldi's weekly, and my hubby has Grocery Outlet on his route, so I'm lucky that he can tell me when they have great deals and when I should go. 

G. O. has many name brands cheap, but most are close outs, so things come and go, plus you need to watch exp. dates.  But I've gotten AWESOME buys there.  Aldi's has great deals on their private brands, so I love both stores for different reasons.

Amy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)