Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

avocados for dummies?

Posted by   + Show Post

The group pic made me think to ask you ladies, haha!)

Ok so my parents are EXTREMELY picky eaters, and really unhealthy at that, so I lived a very sheltered food life growing up, LOL (probably why I love junk food so much, uggh).

I never had avacado until recently. I know it's crazy! I just assumed I wouldn't like it, lol.  So I had an avacado spread on a sandwhich and it was to die for.

So today at the grocery store I bought some avocados.

Now what do I do with them????  Recipies? Suggestions? Help!

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
Vegetarianmama
by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM
You can put it in a very tight tupperware but it won't store long. It does turn brown and rubbery.

Quoting olgabillman07:

I want to learn different ways to use avocados as well! I've had them in sandwiches a few times, but have never actually bought any. Maybe tomorrow during my shopping trip I will get one and at least try them some in my sandwich.

I have a question for the pros though. When I cut a slice out of the avocado how do I store the remaining portion? Is it like an apple where it will turn brown?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjc0858
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Quoting smurfy88:

I LOVE avocados, I just cut them in half and put some salt and pepper on them and eat it out of the peel. I also like to put it on my sandwiches.

I also eat mine this way!!! Sometimes instead of salt, I will add a little dash of hot sauce on them.

KelleyP77
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I could probably eat avocados on almost anything. I really love them on sandwiches, but my favorite way to eat them is diced, sprinkled with salt and real lemon juice, and eaten with tortilla chips.

island_rose
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:55 AM

hey moms...i just have an avocado smoothie this morning. i blend it with milk and honey and it's so yummy!

ashleamaye
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Avocado's are my pregnancy craving!! My very favorite way to eat them is cut up with garlic salt, lime juice, and lemon juice. It is quick and easy. Another way I like to eat them is in the form of guacamole. Here's my recipe

2-3 Avocado's

1 tomato

1 serrano pepper without the seeds ( depending on your spicy limit you can add more or less)

about 3 tbs of cut up cilantro (fresh) Im not actually sure how much I use I just pick a stem or two from my herb garden and tear it apart and mix it in

1 green onion

I squeeze in about one lemon and one lime (but since I'm pregnant I like mine pretty tangy) (you could probably just use half a small lemon and lime and be just fine)

Then I top it all off with some garlic salt and a little pepper and serve with hot tortilla chips

for the hot tortilla chips I usually cut up some corn tortilla's in triangles and dip them in some hot oil until they are nice and crispy

or I'll take a bag of chips I already have and dip them in hot oil for a quick warm up (gives it a Mexican Restaurant flair) and sprinkle a little salt on them while they're hot

DavisMom161008
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Tonight I tried avacodo, tomato, and cucumber salad with a little bit of fresh ground sea salt and light italian ssalad dressing. It was so good. I have never had it just cut up in that fashion and it was really good. The avacado added some creaminess as well as that slight butter taste. A nice alternative to a traditional salad with added health benefits and less calories.

Mommy to a sweet, lovable little boy!!!!

Join me in the Air Force Wives Page to share info, ideas, and meet other Air Force Wives.

www.cafemom.com/group/airforce-wives

Kimra
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:15 AM

after reading all these posts i'm SO HUNGRY for avocado...my son oliver eats avocado EVERY DAY...it's by far his favorite food...i usually eat my avocado on tacos or on sandwiches...they taste great in wraps...and for guacomole i always put some diced tomatoes, some cilantro, and some diced onions (or onion powder is you don't like onions)...i also LEAVE the big seed in the bowl with the guacomole...this prevents it from turning brown

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Guacamole-

6 alvocados------1 tomatoe diced-----1 can of green chiles-----half-1 small onion diced-----cilantro----salt----1 tbs. garlic----lime juice to taste- mix together and walah!

OP- I love alvocados as well! I spread them on toast in the morning. I get sick from eating breakfast too early, but alvocados on toast doesnt hurt my stomach at all :)

Quoting MelissaKelley:

I love guacamole (who knows how to spell that without a dictionary :(  ).  I've never made anything with avacado's but love guac with nachos.

Anyone have a great recipe to make guacamole?

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Just so you know lol this is a recipe for a LARGE BOWL...

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Guacamole-

6 alvocados------1 tomatoe diced-----1 can of green chiles-----half-1 small onion diced-----cilantro----salt----1 tbs. garlic----lime juice to taste- mix together and walah!

OP- I love alvocados as well! I spread them on toast in the morning. I get sick from eating breakfast too early, but alvocados on toast doesnt hurt my stomach at all :)

LeslieFaye
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I put them in smoothies for the kids with yogurt, fruit, wheat germ and/or flax seed

baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN