Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Depression and losing weight

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone ever struggled with depression and trying to change to a healthy lifestyle at the same time?

by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BornToRun84
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Not depression but I have a panic attack disorder that can be bad. Somedays I can barely get out of bed. Plus finding extra energy on valium is hard but I try to work out early and then take it.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Oh that must be hard. Kudos to you though for doing so well and working through it!

runner-mom
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM

It's not always depression, but yes.   I am an emotional eater like you wouldn't believe!  And while my workouts certainly counter balance it, I know the junk I put into my body isn't good. During the end of this last semester it was really bad.  When I'm stressed or having a bad day, I ALWAYS reach for soda.  It's so crazy.  As soon as I get a little taste I feel myself start to relax.  I sound like an alcoholic but I swear that's how it feels sometimes!  And it all boils back to emotions/stress/depression! 

olgabillman07
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Yes. I was severely depression in 2008. 1. Hubby was laid off after we had just bought a house. 2. I was very over weight and very unhappy with my self. So January of 2009 I forced my self to change my life style and eventually things started looking up.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM

That is awesome, congrats on overcoming it!

Quoting olgabillman07:

Yes. I was severely depression in 2008. 1. Hubby was laid off after we had just bought a house. 2. I was very over weight and very unhappy with my self. So January of 2009 I forced my self to change my life style and eventually things started looking up.

BornToRun84
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

Oh that must be hard. Kudos to you though for doing so well and working through it!

Thanks, I wont lie I have about 3-4 BAD nervous breakdowns a year. The last year was particularly bad. Honestly fitness has really got me through a lot of it. Especially running.

My biggest issue is emotionally NOT eating.

jessecutez2
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Yes. I'm really struggling with that right now. I really have no advice yet as this is new to me. I push myself very hard to walk everyday but I don't always get out there.its cold and I'm depressed so for me it means I'd rather sleep eat and pee all day. Good luck but its rough and I'm with you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)