Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Best and Worst Sunscreens

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM
  • 24 Replies

The Environmental Working Group recently came out with its 2010 Sunscreen Guide - with recommendations for the best sunscreens and the ones to avoid (lots of baby sunscreens on that list, unfortunately.)

This is really good info for keeping your kids--and yourself--healthy in the sun this summer.

Check it out here.

by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RanaAurora
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM

How frustrating that mine is a 4.  However, that rating is pushed high by the 8 rating of "fragrance" which can vary extremely in toxicity. 

Thanks for this link!  I'm going to find some by j/a/s/o/n next time I get the chance.

I am a Healthy Moms moderator!

BornToRun84
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM

::whew:: we are safe........

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Mine was rated a 7

olgabillman07
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 12:44 AM

We use Walmart brand sunscreen.. I didn't see it on there, but I didn't see any store brand sunscreens on there. So how do I know if ours is safe?

wendy46121
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM

We dont use sunscreen. I feel like it wasnt until the modern age that the sun started to become a *problem* for human beings.  And it probably has a lot to do with our diet and overall lifestyle.  

The sun is good for us.  I dont want to block it.  I want to absorb it. 

I have also been reading articles lately that support diet as the reason for people getting bad sunburns and skin cancer, and to prevent sunburn (and skin cancer) eat your antioxidants (berries!!) So that is what I am trying this summer.  I have already survived several sunny days... and one even at the pool with ZERO sunburn.  IT is honestly awesome to me.  I am the SAME person who last year put on 60 SPF sunscreen and STILL got burnt. I cant go near a sunny spot without getting horrible sunburns.  So if this works for me... then it definitely will be something I believe in.  

My kids, luckily, dont have my skin so have never had a sunburn.  But the same goes for them.

DestMasters
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM

We use natural sunscreens and nothing over 15spf since anything over that is chemically altered.  We also try to get in the sun a few minutes every day. It helps to build enough protection to the sun and also really, really helps complexion and things like acne, fatigue and all sorts of other things.

I'm older and was raised in Miami back in the day when people used baby oil to rush the tan.  I have so much sun damage from severe sunburns and more than one case of sun poisoning. I also have skin cancer because of it and will have to keep on top of that. \

Even so, I insist that the kids get a healthy amount of sun.  Much to the chagrin of my teenager who would rather lay on the bed in front of the TV all day than venture outside. 

RanaAurora
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM

What kind of natural sunscreens, Dest?

I am a Healthy Moms moderator!

DestMasters
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Lately I've started trying to make my own, again. I used to and liked it. It's different than anything store bought, mainly because most folks to have the right equipment in their homes to get things to emulsify well.

You can get zinc oxide and titanium oxide powders and mix them in to oils and lotions.  Those two things are fantastic because they reflect the sun. Lots of sunscreens that are sold allow the rays to penetrate so while there is no sunburn/tan, the damaging rays are still getting in so the cancer/damage risk is still there.

Badger is a really good, natural sunscreen. It's higher than SPF 15 so I'm not sure of any chemical alteration. California Baby is a good one also.  I saw a Desert Essence one the last time I was in our health food store and I want to try it since I don't have all the goods to make a decent sized batch of my own just yet.

I need to order the ingredients for that and for the bug balm that we use to keep some of the nasty mosquitoes away.  Blood suckers.............

ETA: Miesence is a really, really good brand for everything they sell. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Quoting RanaAurora:

What kind of natural sunscreens, Dest?

wendy46121
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Coconut oil is also a natural "sunscreen" with an SPF of about 4.  

I also have basal cell carcinomas from my exposure as a child/teen, mostly on my chest and a couple on my back.  

olgabillman07
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I'm a freak when it comes to sun. I lather my son and my self up in 50spf everyday! I need to calm down. I'm so scared of cancer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN