Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Best and Worst Sunscreens

Posted by   + Show Post

The Environmental Working Group recently came out with its 2010 Sunscreen Guide - with recommendations for the best sunscreens and the ones to avoid (lots of baby sunscreens on that list, unfortunately.)

This is really good info for keeping your kids--and yourself--healthy in the sun this summer.

Check it out here.

by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Replies (21-24):
runner-mom
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Quoting RanaAurora:

True, but unless you're blocking it all day, every day, 15 minutes even though (untreated) windows is supposedly enough.

exactly,  It only takes 10 minutes a day to get your RDA of Vitamin D.

My sister is a stage 4 malignant melanoma survivor (read: A year of surgeries and chemotherapy)  at the age of 32,  so having a good sunscreen is something I will take a risk on over no sunscreen at all....no question in my mind.

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for this. :)

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

wendy46121
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 11:38 PM

It depends on the season, and your latitude, and pigmentation.  Some places you need to stay out exposed for a lot longer than 10 minutes. 

Quoting runner-mom:

Quoting RanaAurora:

True, but unless you're blocking it all day, every day, 15 minutes even though (untreated) windows is supposedly enough.

My sister is a stage 4 malignant melanoma survivor (read: A year of surgeries and chemotherapy)  at the age of 32,  so having a good sunscreen is something I will take a risk on over no sunscreen at all....no question in my mind.

AND through a window isn't good enough. 

"Can I make vitamin D driving in my car on a bright, sunny day on my way to work?

No. For one thing, UV radiation doesn't penetrate glass; that's why you can't get a burn or tan if you're driving with your windows closed. (The heat you feel is infrared radiation from the sun, which doesn't have any health impact beyond making you overheated or causing sunstroke if you get an excessive amount.) Even if you're driving in a convertible, though, you probably won't get a good dose of UV-B rays if you're driving in the early morning when the sun is still low in the sky. Talking a stroll during lunchtime is your best bet."

runner-mom
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 7:52 AM

The factors that affect UV radiation exposure and research to date on the amount of sun exposure needed to maintain adequate vitamin D levels make it difficult to provide general guidelines.  It has been suggested by some vitamin D researchers, for example, that approximately 5-30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2%-6% UVB radiation is also effective [10,33].  (source: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp)

So, 10 minutes a day is more than adequate.  My point is, you need not run around all day sunscreen free, exposing yourself to harmful UV rays, when all you need to reach your vitamin D levels are to go walk the dog twice a week.  Or eat some fish ;)

Quoting wendy46121:

It depends on the season, and your latitude, and pigmentation.  Some places you need to stay out exposed for a lot longer than 10 minutes. 

Quoting runner-mom:

Quoting RanaAurora:

AND through a window isn't good enough. 

"Can I make vitamin D driving in my car on a bright, sunny day on my way to work?

No. For one thing, UV radiation doesn't penetrate glass; that's why you can't get a burn or tan if you're driving with your windows closed. (The heat you feel is infrared radiation from the sun, which doesn't have any health impact beyond making you overheated or causing sunstroke if you get an excessive amount.) Even if you're driving in a convertible, though, you probably won't get a good dose of UV-B rays if you're driving in the early morning when the sun is still low in the sky. Talking a stroll during lunchtime is your best bet."

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN