Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Do you follow health "rules" with your children as well?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM
  • 37 Replies

I'm just curious how far some of the health concerns in this group go.

Do you do lots of research in regards to children's health as well?

Do you follow "rules" in regards to their health, such as breastfeeding, delayed solids, avoiding chemicals in shampoos, soaps, cleaners, no soy, etc.?

How do you handle situations in which your children would be exposed to foods you'd prefer for them not to eat, such as eating at a schoolmate's house or being taken out for "fast food" by a friend's parent?

I am a Healthy Moms moderator!

by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Quoting RanaAurora:

I'm just curious how far some of the health concerns in this group go.

Do you do lots of research in regards to children's health as well? I did when it came to vaccines

Do you follow "rules" in regards to their health, such as breastfeeding, delayed solids, avoiding chemicals in shampoos, soaps, cleaners, no soy, etc.? I breastfed for 2 months, but then lost my milk. I started solids at about 4 months. I have never heard anythinga bout the shampoo stuff. I do use some natural cleaners, but I also like my all purpse bleach cleaner

How do you handle situations in which your children would be exposed to foods you'd prefer for them not to eat, such as eating at a schoolmate's house or being taken out for "fast food" by a friend's parent? i havent had to deal with this yet, my daughter never goes anywhere but with me

Rebeccalynn_dj
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I am a health nut when it comes to my children.  I was called a control freak by a friend when my daughter was young.  I not only nursed my children but pumped for my friends children. I watch for chemicals in my children's soaps and products. 

I have no problem telling people that my children is not allowed to have certain things.  Most are very understanding.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

wow that is different, I have never heard of someone that pumped for other peoples kids. You must of produced a lot of milk.

RanaAurora
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

You can work to up your supply easily with the right info.  Rebecca, that's amazing and a wonderful gift for your friend's children.

How do you let others know not to feed your kiddos junk?

Rebeccalynn_dj
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Well my friend adopted her son.  She wanted to nurse but couldn't.  Our babies were 3 weeks apart.  I learned what I could about producing milk.  I trained my body to produce the right amount of extra milk once a day.  So just that one time a day my milk came in twice as much.  Anyone can do it, just need to learn how.cc

Quoting smurfy88:

wow that is different, I have never heard of someone that pumped for other peoples kids. You must of produced a lot of milk.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM

That is amazing and such a wonderful thing for you to do for someone!

Quoting Rebeccalynn_dj:

Well my friend adopted her son.  She wanted to nurse but couldn't.  Our babies were 3 weeks apart.  I learned what I could about producing milk.  I trained my body to produce the right amount of extra milk once a day.  So just that one time a day my milk came in twice as much.  Anyone can do it, just need to learn how.cc

Quoting smurfy88:

BornToRun84
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Thankfully my children are young so they have yet to be somewhere with out Mike or myself and both of our parents are on board with our vegan life 100% so I don't have any worries about that.

As far as everything else you mentioned yes for the most part we follow the "rules". We do whatever works for our family at the time. Both kids were different so we just kind of tried to go with the flow.

Rebeccalynn_dj
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Mostly, I don't have to anymore.  The people that I allow to watch my kids are good enough friends to know our wishes just by being around us.  My kids are old enough to tell them as well.  Like my kids don't drink soda.  Even if they were served one they wouldn't drink it because they think it is gross. 

One thing I did at the school is have a natural nutritionist come into the school and talk to the parents.  She talked about bromide in breads, sodas, junk and much more and how it harms our children.  It got many of the parents on board and now some of the mom's are raising free range organic chickens and selling eggs to each other. 

She also talked about Pottengers cats. The study was interesting.  If you don't understand the point of the study then you think it is about meat.  It really is about what happens to us when we eat processed foods.  Not really about raw foods.  People are wondering why kids have asthma, nut allergies, and health issues that were almost non exisitant 100 years ago.  This book is an example of how bad food effects generations of people.

If there is a question I provide a snack.  Sometimes I don't mind them having a treat if I know what it will be.  I just don't want that junk going in their bodies on a regular basis.  Quoting RanaAurora:

You can work to up your supply easily with the right info.  Rebecca, that's amazing and a wonderful gift for your friend's children.

How do you let others know not to feed your kiddos junk?

RanaAurora
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Quoting BornToRun84:

Thankfully my children are young so they have yet to be somewhere with out Mike or myself and both of our parents are on board with our vegan life 100% so I don't have any worries about that.

That's great.  I hear so many horror stories about relatives not supporting veg*ism.  I'm fortunate enough to live nowhere near the in-laws who we'd have to constantly battle about diets.

My mom on the other hand, has made some great changes for their own diet and we constantly share info.

Rowan is getting big enough that he's got kindergarten friends and whatnot, and will start spending time at some of their houses.  It bugs me to think about the stuff they might feed him.  After all, we avoid HFCS like the plague (that it is), but I know plenty of other people don't bother.

I am a Healthy Moms moderator!

RanaAurora
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

THanks Rebecca!  Sending snacks with them is a great idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)