Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Do you follow health "rules" with your children as well?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious how far some of the health concerns in this group go.

Do you do lots of research in regards to children's health as well?

Do you follow "rules" in regards to their health, such as breastfeeding, delayed solids, avoiding chemicals in shampoos, soaps, cleaners, no soy, etc.?

How do you handle situations in which your children would be exposed to foods you'd prefer for them not to eat, such as eating at a schoolmate's house or being taken out for "fast food" by a friend's parent?

I am a Healthy Moms moderator!

by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Replies (31-37):
parrishsky
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM

A localvore is a great term Erica. I feel the same. I buy local honey, veggies & fruits year round. The benefits to where we live I guess. I used to have a bad habit of forgetting the veggies at dinner but managed over the years to make it the focal point of the meal. My kids love lentils and curried carrot soup. As long as I serve bread the boys find it filling. We also learned to live without soda and only have it as a special treat, like movie night. For breakfast I buy low fat granola, wheat toast and raisin bran instead of sugary cereals and they have learned to appreciate it. I also make yogurt/fruit smoothies since they get bored of their breakfast choices. They all eat fruit everyday because I remind them how fresh it is and how it makes them feel fuller, longer.

anklebitr
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Do you do lots of research in regards to children's health as well?  Only recently.  My husband is a type 2 diabetic who also is on two types of insulin.  I try to read up on different food additives.  We both watch for HFCS.  We try to keep fruit in the house.  We really like Brown Cow yogurt.

Do you follow "rules" in regards to their health, such as breastfeeding, delayed solids, avoiding chemicals in shampoos, soaps, cleaners, no soy, etc.?
I started solids between 4.5 and 5 months. I wish I would have paid more attention though and delayed them.  The amount of money we could have saved not buy commercial baby food...  I breastfeed my son and he will be two in augest.  We use regular shampoo and cleaners, I have been slowly looking into alternatives. 

How do you handle situations in which your children would be exposed to foods you'd prefer for them not to eat, such as eating at a schoolmate's house or being taken out for "fast food" by a friend's parent?
If we  are at my folks house, where there are more goodies, the kids are allowed treats only after they've had something real.   My mom trys to watch and read labels too. (type 2 DM for her too.)

FunMami
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I do feed healthy food to my children but do not avoid chemicals in shampoos.  I do know products with out chemicals but do not have the money yet to buy it. My priority is healthy foods.

mama_2_jasper
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Yes, I did Bf for a little past a year, gave him soloids at about 6 months. He has ONLY used Dr. Bronners pure castile soap, as do me and DF. We use detergents and cleaning stuff that are natural and safe because he has eczema. I only use bleach for my stuff for work (sheets for Massage Therapy) DS eats MOSTLY organic and healthy foods. but I do let him eat an occasional treat! He has had french fries( a few, not a whole serving) and does get a couple bites of cake or cookies from time to time. I believe in moderation not deprivation. He is only 19months, so he only goes with my Dad or Step mom, and they feed him pretty good. I don;t think that they have anything that I would not give him myself in their house.

AmyG1976
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I follow the "rules" for my kids at home and when I take them out. for the most part they know how to as well. we dont like not allow them to go out with other families or eat at there homes. I will say I can limit there time and visits to a certain relatives home that lives on junk only drink in there home 99% of the time inc when they had an infant was koolaid....   I researched shots after my oldest got some and I read the paperwork on the vaccines she got OMG..  I breastfed the youngest 3 for 11-16 months for the most part they all self weaned oldest was only for a few months because I did not know that everything was normal and okay and that I could bf and work (VERY uneducated on it or educated incorectly on it)  until they had all the signs that they were ready for solids they didnot get them I think youngest for solids was imo VERY young at 6 months rest were 9-11 months we only use natural soaps I read everything if unsure about something I look it up. cleaners same thing however I clean about everything in my home with 50-50 vinager and water.

KITTYCAT1
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM

My 7 & 9 year old are vegetarian (I did a LOT of research on the subject beforehand), no preservative, organic, no soda, etc kids. My 2 month old is breastfed and we plan on delaying solids. All of the kids bath and body products are natural and vegan as well.

4healthyeats
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 9:03 PM

the healthy stuff started b/c of my son... now I'm applying it to the rest of us.  if he can't eat it.. i won't eat it.  I feel much better now.  Bonus: I no longer have to brush teeth, drink a glass of water, and obsessively wash my hands just to hold my son and kiss him. oh yeah and I've lost 10lbs.  If we don't follow the "rules" everytime he is miserable, pukes, gets rashes (includes certain soaps)

If there is something i don't want him to have i just use the allergy/sensitivity card. works like a charm and the same now goes for me.  But really its true since i cut out "bad" stuff, if i eat it i don't feel as good (emotional and physically).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)