Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

The problems with soy.

Posted by   + Show Post

In regards to infants:  http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/soy-formula-affects-mice-reproductive-development

In the United States, about 25 percent of formula-fed babies receive soy-based formula. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) currently considers soy formulas acceptable for healthy term infants, although they are third choice after breastmilk and cow milk formulas.  "Acceptability" is based primarily on the fact that term infants fed soy formulas gain weight and appear to grow normally. 

The AAP only recommends soy formulas over cow milk formulas for vegan families or for infants with certain medical conditions that affect how the baby metabolizes lactose, such as diagnosed lactose intolerance or galactosemia, a rare genetic disease. The AAP does not recommend soy formulas for preterm or low birth-weight babies.

Soy-based formulas are made from soybeans. One concern with soy-based formulas is that they contain high levels of phytoestrogens like genistein. Phytoestrogens are molecules made by plants that mimic the actions of estrogen. Remarkably, genistein levels measured in the blood of soy-fed infants are roughly 10 times higher than phytoestrogen concentrations known to alter a woman's menstrual cycle.

Estrogens are important in reproductive development and function. Although animal studies suggest effects, it is not definitive if the phytoestrogens in soy formulas can alter the reproductive development of infants.

Human studies have linked soy formula consumption with early breast development, abnormal menstrual cycles and a greater tendency to have twins. One study found reduced immune response to childhood vaccinations among children raised on soy formulas, although a follow-up study could not replicate the findings.

Rodent studies have shown that baby mice injected with genistein are more likely to have larger uterines, reduced fertility, altered estrous cycling, multioocytic follicles (MOFs), decreases in uterine progesterone receptor expression and other effects associated with excess estrogen exposure. When a female's eggs develop in her ovary, they should occur as single cells contained in nests of nurse cells referred to as follicles. MOFs are an abnormal condition in which multiple egg cells develop within a follicle. MOFs in mice have been associated with reduced fertility. Progesterone receptors are important in the uterus because they regulate the maintenance of pregnancy, among other important reproductive functions. A loss of progesterone receptors could cause infertility and miscarriage.

Rodent studies that use injected mice have been criticized because the route of exposure is not the same as in humans. When genistein is injected into mice, it bypasses the gut, where it might be metabolized into less or more potent forms. In addition, many injection studies cause peak genistein concentrations in research mice that greatly exceed those measured in soy formula-fed infants.

In regards to girls:  http://www.empowher.com/wellness/content/phenols-phthalates-and-phytoestrogens-toxins-avoid

A new study reports that girls are reaching puberty at a younger age than ever before because of ingesting high amounts of hormone-like substances. These hormone-like substances are phenols, phthalates and phytoestrogens.

Phenols, phthalates and phytoestrogens are toxic substances that are pervasive in environment and in our homes.

Phytoestrogen mimics estrogen and is found in soy products. Dr. William Campbell says that soy products are not the healthy foods we have been led to believe, but is instead dangerous and toxic to consume.

The phenol BPA is in bottles and cans. BPA is linked to asthma, cancer, heart disease, obesity and various sexual problems.

Phthalates are found in plastic and makeup. While the overdose of these hormone-like substances are causing accelerated maturity in girls, some boys now have the misfortune of developing breasts.

"This new study in Environmental Health Perspectives is on girls, but the damage isn't limited to them. These are equal-opportunity hormones, and they're making boys more feminine as well."

Until the government takes steps to eliminate these toxins, it's up to us to protect ourselves from phenols, phthalates and phytoestrogens.

http://www.healthiertalk.com/common-chemicals-linked-early-puberty-1788

More on soy, and also reasons to avoid certain brands that refine the soy with hexane:   http://www.empowher.com/healthy-eating/content/neurotoxin-hexane-many-processed-foods

Many non-organic veggie burgers are immersed in the neurotoxin hexane when they are being prepared. As a rule, non-organic veggies burgers containing soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, or texturized vegetable protein have been immersed in the neurotoxin.

Hexane may even have been used for veggie burgers that you bought thinking they were organic. But it's not that simple. Check labels carefully. If the label says "made with organic ingredients" the neurotoxin hexane may still be present. The disclaimer being that the label does not say the product is ONLY made with organic ingredients.

Dr. Kaayla Daniel, who wrote "The Whole Soy Story" voices caution about the use of soy.

"Dr. Daniel also points out the findings of numerous studies reviewed by her and other colleagues -- that soy does not reliably lower cholesterol, and in fact raises homocysteine levels in many people, which has been found to increase your risk of stroke, birth defects, and yes: heart disease."

Veggie burgers aren't the only food product to watch out for. The neurotoxin hexane is present in the vast majority of processed foods containing soy, peanut and corn oil.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/15/which-vegg...

I am a Healthy Moms moderator!

by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Replies (21-26):
RanaAurora
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM

To be totally honest, I just grabbed random stuff that was supporting what I've read in the past.  These weren't well-thought-out or carefully chosen sources.

I'll spend a little more time looking for more info and I'll share it with you, because I totally value and want your opinion on this kind of stuff.

Regardless, I still won't buy Silk because they've started using hexane in their refining process, and are switching to GMO soybeans (if they haven't already).  Neither of which I support.

JoyeAustin
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Fermented soy is good--tofu, miso, tempeh.

Unfermented soy is the stuff that gets dangerous in excessive amounts.

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Apark
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I am going to research soy.  Thank you for the heads up.

evwsquared
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Quoting RanaAurora:

To be totally honest, I just grabbed random stuff that was supporting what I've read in the past.  These weren't well-thought-out or carefully chosen sources.

I'll spend a little more time looking for more info and I'll share it with you, because I totally value and want your opinion on this kind of stuff.

Regardless, I still won't buy Silk because they've started using hexane in their refining process, and are switching to GMO soybeans (if they haven't already).  Neither of which I support.

Phew. I've been really worried about how I've been coming across. I really don't have any answers. I want to make that clear. I also don't yet have an opinion on this. Well, I guess that I really want to continue to eat tofu and to serve it to my daughter, so I'm more on the side of "it's not evil." But, that's just what I'm rooting for, not what I know to be true.

I also want to let people know that if during their research they can't access an article from a science journal because one needs a subscription, I have access to them all and can send you a pdf.

evwsquared
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Quoting JoyeAustin:

Fermented soy is good--tofu, miso, tempeh.

Unfermented soy is the stuff that gets dangerous in excessive amounts.

But most tofu isn't fermented. :(

irishcoffee
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I'll share what I know about soy. 

a few decades ago I was a 19 year old uneducated new mom.  I breast-fed my baby exclusively for 4 months, at which time she started to get the first signs of teething.  My mom weaned my brother and I when we got teeth, so I followed her lead.  Amber was completely intolerant to regular formula, and her doctor put her on soy.  At the time, "failure to thrive" was a fairly new diagnosis (I think) and I believe she would have been there had we not switched to soy, as the switch was an end to her throwing up all her bottles.  Later she showed allergic type reactions to cheese, I wonder now if she was a lactose intolerant baby.  After she turned 13 or so, she refused to have anything to do with milk, although she still eats other dairy products.  As for early puberty, she was a bit of a late bloomer.

My son, also weaned at 4 months, got soy formula because that's what his sister had, I don't remember if he had non-soy formula, but had he been born 10 years later, either with breast milk or either kind of formula, he would have been diagnosed with reflux of GERD, he still has issues.

My youngest had the benefit of a slower transition to formula, and she's almost 14.  I don't remember what kind of formula she had, regular (not chocolate, LOL) or soy.  She has a dust allergy, but was never a spit-up baby like her siblings.  Early puberty kind of runs in the paternal family, so I don't know what kind of issue there is there.

As for me, I was tested for all kinds of food allergies, first in '95.  Soy is at the top of the list.  While I'm fine with the small amounts in so many foods, if I have something that's pure soy or liquid based (think Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai - I didn't check one time), I get violently ill.

So i don't really have any conclusions except that I have watch MY labels for years, and with my oldest, perhaps we should chat ; )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)