Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

new to healthy eating.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am 24 and slightly overweight. I havent ever had a problem with my weight before until i had my son, now three, and i got out of the military. I would like to start eating more healthfully and to be able to teach my son better eating habits. I already make most of my meals at home but I tend to follow the example of my childhood, lots of fried things and gravy. I am very interested in changing this but all of the information out there is contradictory and overwhelming. Does anyone have any insights to help me on my new journey?

by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Christyskids
by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Where do I start? haha

Clean Eating, and The Abs Diet are two good books to read.

My advise would be the following to start with.  Remember everyones advise will be a little different.  You need to find what works for you.

1. cut out processed foods

2. fill your plate with at least 1/3 fruits and veggies

3. Stop frying things!  Instead of french fries, cut up sweet potatos and bake them on a cookies sheet.  Grill your chicken and other meats.

4.  Try to eat a good mix of protein and carbs at each meal and sanck.

5. Discover avacados.  I use them mashed up for a dip, smashed on sandwiches instead of mayo, and cut up for wraps and scrambled eggs.

KTMOM
by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Shopping is the most important thing for me.  Going around the perimeter of the store and getting WHOLE foods is the best thing.  Fresh fruits,  veggies,  healthy dairy products,  etc,  and then when you are in the inner isles of the store where most of the nasty stuff hides,  read labels!!  I pretty much only go into the inner isles for my tortilla chips,  cereals (healthy ones),  beans,  rice,  pastas,  and some of my dressings (there are a lot of organic ones now) and canned or frozen items.  If you buy breads,  get whole grain with no HFCS.  If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes near you,  that is a great place to start because a majority of their products are a lot healthier than conventional groceries.

DestMasters
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I agree with reading labels and shopping well.  The occasional fried thing isn't horrid but when it's the majority of your diet that's not so good.  Learn to broil your meats.  Baked fries (already mentioned) can be as tasty as french fries.  You'll find that not only are things of this nature better for you, they're quicker to prepare.

I use a crockpot a lot. I used to cook like you but made myself (and family) switch. I do cook meat for them even though I don't eat it. One of the things they love that I cook is chicken in the crockpot - boneless - cooked with a jar of salsa.  You can add extra veggies, even black beans.  The salsa makes juice which is much better than gravy. Serve it over brown rice and it's tasty.

Remember to take things step by step.  You're not going to change overnight and to expect that from yourself just isn't fair.  Allow yourself the learning curve. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)