Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Revamping Our Olive Oil

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

The USDA recently announced that, for the first time since the 1940s, it is revising standards for olive oil grown and imported in the US. Labels such as "virgin" and "extra virgin" must now be scientifically verifiable, and mostly meaningless terms like "light" will be done away with. The new regulations, scheduled to go into effect on October 25, 2010, are in line with quality standards already adopted by the California Olive Oil Council (COOC) and International Olive Council (IOC). The new grades will include:

U.S. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Virgin olive oil which has excellent flavor and odor (median of defects equal to zero and median of fruitiness greater than zero) and a free fatty acid content, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.8 grams per 100 grams.

U.S. Virgin Olive Oil: Virgin olive oil which has reasonably good flavor and odor (median of defects between zero and 2.5 and median of fruitiness greater than zero) and a free fatty acid content, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 2.0 grams per 100 grams.

U.S. Olive Oil: Oil consisting of a blend of refined olive oil and virgin olive oils fit for consumption without further processing. It has a free fatty acid content, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 1.0 gram per 100 grams, and has acceptable odor and flavor characteristic of "virgin olive oil."

U.S. Refined Olive Oil: Oil obtained from virgin olive oils by refining methods that do not lead to alterations in the initial glyceridic structure (basic glycerin-fatty acid structure). It has a free fatty acid content, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.3 grams per 100 grams, and is flavorless and odorless.

Here's the article I read on The Kitchn

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM

What is the healthiest oil to use?

PosterOfAGirl
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Organic extra virgin olive oil preferably in a dark glass container.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I will have to look for that. I have always wondered what the best oil to use is. I get a lot of my food at fresh and easy so hopefully they will have it.

evwsquared
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM

The difference between extra virgin and virgin is which pressing the oil comes from. Extra virgin isn't recommended for cooking with, because its flavor profile is too strong (that said, it's what I use because it's what I have!). I find this really curious. Could you show me where this information is? I love sampling different kinds of olive oil.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM

The link is at the bottom of the post

Quoting evwsquared:

The difference between extra virgin and virgin is which pressing the oil comes from. Extra virgin isn't recommended for cooking with, because its flavor profile is too strong (that said, it's what I use because it's what I have!). I find this really curious. Could you show me where this information is? I love sampling different kinds of olive oil.

wendy46121
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM

We always use EVOO, for cooking, salad dressings, or whatever calls for oil really, unless it calls for a different oil because of the temperature, such as with frying. 

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

You can't fry with EVOO?

Quoting wendy46121:

We always use EVOO, for cooking, salad dressings, or whatever calls for oil really, unless it calls for a different oil because of the temperature, such as with frying. 

wendy46121
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:34 PM

you *can* but it will probably start smoking, and you really dont want that.  Its better to use oils with higher "smoke points" for better frying results, like Canola oil. 

(we dont really even fry very often at all though)

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Oh okay thanks!

PosterOfAGirl
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Yeah you have to pay attention to the burning levels on different oils, because when you start to burn them they become toxic. I just started using coconut oil when I saute, oh man...so....good...yummmmm.

My favorite salad dressing is a little olive oil, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of a lemon. Tastes divine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)