Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crunches

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I have read so many things about crunches some saying they are pointless and a waste of time, others saying crunches really do work. How do you feel about crunches, do you think they work?

by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
runner-mom
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM

They will work for sure. The issue at hand is that people think they are going to get a 6 pack from doing crunches.  You may, but it will be hidden under any fat you have on your stomach. The only way to get rid of the fat is cardio and clean eating.  No ammount of crunching will do that for you!

But to strengthen the abs, yes crunches, along with other core workouts, are beneficial.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Thanks, I am doing both, burning fat and wanting to tone. I don't want to do crunches if I am wasting my time.

runner-mom
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

Thanks, I am doing both, burning fat and wanting to tone. I don't want to do crunches if I am wasting my time.

No you aren't wasting time :) That said, I'd really watch your form, because a lot of people do inefficient crunches! Switch it up and try different things. I love to do planks as well, those will tone your abs in a snap!

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Okay thanks!!

what are planks?

runner-mom
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Much, much harder than it looks! Be sure to keep your back/butt flat just like she is doing in this video.

Quoting smurfy88:

So I have read so many things about crunches some saying they are pointless and a waste of time, others saying crunches really do work. How do you feel about crunches, do you think they work?

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Okay thank you, I will try this!

olgabillman07
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Bicycle crunches are pretty awesome too!!

wendy46121
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Crunches can build  ab muscle... but you* CANNOT SPOT RECUDE FAT.  So it may never get you the abs your looking for without other better cardiovascular exercise.   Plus, you might as well try to build muscle in more places than just abs, so an actual full body workout routine would help you lose MORE fat, and build more muscle everywhere in your body :)

(you here is general, and not targeted at anyone individual)

wendy46121
by on Jun. 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM

PS toning is a bullshit term people use to sell products.  You dont TONE your muscle.  You rip away old muscle and build new better muscle.  When a product (and its almost ALWAYS someone asking for money) says it helps you TONE, it's bullshit.  There is nothing better than the basics that people have been doing for years and years to help you shape your body. 

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM

yes I love those!

Quoting olgabillman07:

Bicycle crunches are pretty awesome too!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)