Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Your kids and fitness

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 9:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you try to teach your children about fitness?

If your kids are older do they play sports/make time to work out?

Do they see the importance?

I have noticed that my 3 year old, Autumn loves to work out with me when I am doing pilates or yoga or some form of dance (LOL I stopped Carmen Electra when I realized she wanted to work out with me!)

by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
runner-mom
by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:18 AM

My kids are 3.5 and 1.5, and both  have already been in their share of "tot trot" races, haha!  The youngest I don't believe really knows what's going on, but my oldest fully understands mommy AND daddy going out for a run or to the gym.  Everytime I come back in he'll ask "did ya have a good run mom?"  LOL!  Oh, and he LOVES the kettlebells, LOL!  He's always lifting our 20lber and saying "check out my muscles" haha.

I love to exercise because I love to exercise, but even so I make a point to make sure my kids see my working out as something I WANT to do, and not something I HAVE to do because I feel "fat" or whatever.   Hopefully it is teaching them that exercise is an important, normal part of everyday life, and they will follow in our footsteps.

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

BornToRun84
by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Quoting runner-mom:

My kids are 3.5 and 1.5, and both  have already been in their share of "tot trot" races, haha!  The youngest I don't believe really knows what's going on, but my oldest fully understands mommy AND daddy going out for a run or to the gym.  Everytime I come back in he'll ask "did ya have a good run mom?"  LOL!  Oh, and he LOVES the kettlebells, LOL!  He's always lifting our 20lber and saying "check out my muscles" haha.

I love to exercise because I love to exercise, but even so I make a point to make sure my kids see my working out as something I WANT to do, and not something I HAVE to do because I feel "fat" or whatever.   Hopefully it is teaching them that exercise is an important, normal part of everyday life, and they will follow in our footsteps.

Heather I dont know WHY I havent thought to let Autumn in a "tot trot" she would love it. Our kids are practically the same age.

I totally agree with you about wanting to work out because you LOVE it and not just because its the means to an end.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM

My daughter is only 2 no she doesnt understand yet. When I work out she just hangs on me and goes between my legs. I am planning on starting mommy and me ballet next year and will get her involved in things, but I won't force her to do an activity she doenst like, but she will not be as lazy as i was as a kid.

graceisamum
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

My kids are all very healthy i have 12yr old twins, 9yo son, 7 yr old twins, 5yr old son, 3 yr old son and a 23month old daughter. We are a very sporty family, we play tennis together as a family(we have a court :) )and my 9yo son Zachariah is competeing in a Juniour Tennis tournament and playing for our  and we have a swimming pool so the kids are very fit :) 

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM

My kids are 3.5 and 1.5 and we run.  DH pushes the double jogger and I play the music.  The kids will usually eat their dinner or have a sncak while we run.  We run 4-5 times a weeks.  Once as far as 7 miles but usually 2-3 miles.

DD has been in ballet, dance and next soccer.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

My kids are both fit and active... adults.

They certainly learned some of it from me, and some of it from 10 years of dancing...

celestegood
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM
CUTE!!!!!!!

Quoting runner-mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Good for you.

Quoting LindaClement:

My kids are both fit and active... adults.

They certainly learned some of it from me, and some of it from 10 years of dancing...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM

my kids love doing yoga with me & going hiking.  but they really need no motivation from me to be active. 

my son's a little monkey who at the age of 2 1/2 taught himself how to do a somersault & cartwheels by 4.  he's 6 now & takes gymnastics for an hour & a half twice a week.  when he's not practicing his handstands, cartwheels, etc. he's playing basketball, kicking around a soccer ball, he just can't be still, even in his sleep! 

my daughter isn't as athletic as her brother (she's more of the arisitc one) but this past spring she wanted to play basketball, with the boys, at an after school program & she loved it.  she wants to do it again this spring & plays basketball, again with the boys, most days at recess. 

they both also love doing just dance on the wii on days they can't get outside.

mnmo3bb
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

they are just naturally active, they walk, run around, play at the park, ride bikes, etc. In the winter they have a mini trampoliine to jump on :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN