Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Excitotoxins

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM
  • 2 Replies

So I'm reading through this article about Umami thinking "fifth taste, this sounds cool". Then I get to monosodium glutamate (MSG). Didn't the NEJM say it was bad and chinese food resturaunts start banning it's use because of?

For the hell of it since I am updating my knowlage of excitotoxins, here are a few common excitotoxins:

Aspertame, Splenda

These contain MSG:

Glutamate
Glutamic acid
Gelatin
Monosodium glutamate
Calcium caseinate
Textured protein
Monopotassium glutamate
Sodium caseinate
Yeast nutrient
Yeast extract
Yeast food
Autolyzed yeast
Hydrolyzed protein (any protein that is hydrolyzed)
Hydrolyzed corn gluten
Natrium glutamate (natrium is Latin/German for sodium)

Do you consume them? Are you going to continue to consume them?

unconditional lovePhotobucket

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
DestMasters
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Interesting information, thanks for sharing.

I'm all too familiar with the downside of MSG - since it triggers my migraines in a wicked way. I'm also familiar with the nasty side of Aspertame. I end up in the hospital if I consume it. My MIL buys already made "sweet tea" that's "diet" or "no sugar added" and serves it when we go to her house for dinner. Do you think she mentioned the tidbit to us that it had this nasty poison in it?  Nope.  Yeah, I drink water at her house and so do the kids.

The effects of these things just amaze me.  It's almost as bad as HFCS, it's in everything. If I want gum, I have to buy it at the healthfood store. Every gum, almost every mint, all of that stuff has either Splenda (sucralose) or Aspartame in it.

I'll not get on my rant any further. :)

cleanaturalady
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I try to stay away from these ingredients as much as possible.  I am an avid label reader.  This past year, my kids discovered ramen noodles at someone's house (I had never bought it for them) and they think the stuff is manna from heaven.  We treat it as junk food around here, they aren't allowed to just eat it every day like they would like to.  That stuff is nasty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)