Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

walking shoes

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM
  • 14 Replies

So what are some really good walking shoes that look decent too?

I want to get a pair, but I don't want to waste my money.

Also have you ever tried the Sketcher shape ups or Rebok easy tones?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MythicMMM
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Fall I go with Newbalance. Summer I go with Teva's hurricane sandals, the ones with good arch support and thick rubber are great for all the cement I walk on as well as rock hopping down at the river.

runner-mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM

pleaaaaaase avoid those shape up/tone up shoes.  The whole philosophy behind them is that they put your body out of alignment, causing you to use more muscle (hence the toning).  However putting your body out of natural alignment is just asking for trouble and injury. I bet in the next few years you will see lots of research coming out showing how bad these are for you.

(the reverse idea of this concept is the idea of running/walking barefoot, as it puts you in the most natural alignment and therefore can greatly reduce overuse injuries in runners)

My suggestion is to find a local running specialty shop near you (this applies even though you are walking!) They will be able to look at your foot type, the way you walk (called your gait) your arch, etc and suggest a good shoe for you.  They will do this for FREE and suggest a few different shoes that are right for your foot.

The problem wish shoe recommendations from what others use  is that what works really well for one person may not work as well for the next, because we all have different feet and strides.

If you do not have a local running store near you, go to http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ and take the "shoe dog" test.  It will help you determine what type of shoe is a good fit for your foot. 

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Oh I am not considering getting the shape up or easy tones because they are out of my budget and I am way to clumsy to walk in those, I was just wondering if anyone else likes them.

I will have to check out that website.

runner-mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

They are crazy expensive, aren't they? Isn't it amazing what people will spend at the promise of an easy way to get fit? LOL!

Quoting smurfy88:

Oh I am not considering getting the shape up or easy tones because they are out of my budget and I am way to clumsy to walk in those, I was just wondering if anyone else likes them.

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

MythicMMM
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Hah! I have always hated those "loose weight fast" schemes. They always cost a lot of money and are never healthy for the body. Realisticly, there is no way to loose weight fast that is heatly for the body. I remember reading somewhere that it should take about half the time to get the weight off as it did putting it on. Walking is absolutely a good way. Plus somewhat low impact for those of us with bad knees/ankles that can't run.

Quoting runner-mom:

They are crazy expensive, aren't they? Isn't it amazing what people will spend at the promise of an easy way to get fit? LOL!

Quoting smurfy88:

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Definitely, there like 100 bucks or so.

I am looking for a good walking shoe around 50 dollars.

Rebeccalynn_dj
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I agree 100%.  For example, many people love new balance.  I was talked into getting them.  Then they killed my feet.

I have started running some this year.  When you run foot care is very important.

I also don't see how shape up shoes are good for you.  Your alignment is very important to how your body works in general.  If your neck is out you might feel it in your shoulders.

Quoting runner-mom:

pleaaaaaase avoid those shape up/tone up shoes.  The whole philosophy behind them is that they put your body out of alignment, causing you to use more muscle (hence the toning).  However putting your body out of natural alignment is just asking for trouble and injury. I bet in the next few years you will see lots of research coming out showing how bad these are for you.

(the reverse idea of this concept is the idea of running/walking barefoot, as it puts you in the most natural alignment and therefore can greatly reduce overuse injuries in runners)

My suggestion is to find a local running specialty shop near you (this applies even though you are walking!) They will be able to look at your foot type, the way you walk (called your gait) your arch, etc and suggest a good shoe for you.  They will do this for FREE and suggest a few different shoes that are right for your foot.

The problem wish shoe recommendations from what others use  is that what works really well for one person may not work as well for the next, because we all have different feet and strides.

If you do not have a local running store near you, go to http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ and take the "shoe dog" test.  It will help you determine what type of shoe is a good fit for your foot. 

DestMasters
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

When I ran, I had shoes that I purchased at a running store. They checked my foot placement, stride, everything.  I think for budget sake, just go to something like Foot Locker and try on all sorts of them.  Find something you like. If they're over your budget, right down what they were; brand, model and size.  Then look online.  I do that with my running around shoes and end up finding them way cheaper online. 

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

thats a good idea thanks!

Quoting DestMasters:

When I ran, I had shoes that I purchased at a running store. They checked my foot placement, stride, everything.  I think for budget sake, just go to something like Foot Locker and try on all sorts of them.  Find something you like. If they're over your budget, right down what they were; brand, model and size.  Then look online.  I do that with my running around shoes and end up finding them way cheaper online. 

Apark
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Another thing to remember is to replace your shoes regularly if you are running.  Foot support is number one when you run.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN