Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Money is tight

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

So when 'krap' mac & chesse is on sale the old man buys 10 boxes.   I gave him a death look "I don't want to kids to go hungry!" 

I'm trying to think of a substitute mac&chesse that is easy on the bugdet and easy to make, and the stuff I have to have on hand would be inexpensive.  So far I am thinking. 

One box of store brand whole wheat maccoroni

1 tub plan yogert

chedder chesse

I might mention that to him tonight and maybe I can convince him to see how far that would go. 

Any other ideas????  I guess we could just tell the child "eat what is on your plate or don't eat at all".

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM

How old is your kid?

runner-mom
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Great idea!  You could try Greek yogurt instead of plain. It's pricier but I think richer tasting, so it can go a little further, and it's much much better for you. 

One thing I really struggled with in the beginning was realizing that yes, healthy food is more expensive, but it really FILLS you up much better than the junk.  So you don't need to buy as much, and the cost does even out! 

anklebitr
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Smurfy- my kids are 5 and 22 months.  The little one isn't very picky.  The older one got spoiled when she was younger.  If we were having something I didn't think she would like,she got easy mac and a fruit cup.  The dumb thing is, we didn't even offer her the stuff we had.  I feel bad about that now.

Quoting runner-mom:

Great idea!  You could try Greek yogurt instead of plain. It's pricier but I think richer tasting, so it can go a little further, and it's much much better for you. 

One thing I really struggled with in the beginning was realizing that yes, healthy food is more expensive, but it really FILLS you up much better than the junk.  So you don't need to buy as much, and the cost does even out! 

YES!! 

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

that is what I am having a problem with right now, I went grocery shopping and got a ton of fresh healthy food for the first time and spent about 60 dollars more than normal.

Quoting runner-mom:

wendy46121
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Ground turkey chili is really cheap to make.  When we are broke its literally $1.50 for the turkey, 50cents for beans and 50 cents for tomato sauce, plus spices from out cabinet... IF we dont have the spices then a pouch os seasoning is like 33 cents.   This is also you can pretty much add anything you already have like Onions. Rice. Spaghetti noodles. Green Peppers, (or almost any vegetable can go in chili)  

So when we are really bad off we eat chili several times per week... and its wAY healthier than mac n cheese. 

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Wow 1.50 for your turkey, its almost 4 dollar here for a pound of ground turkey.

Guinhyvar
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Stir together a tablespoon of hot water, a tsp of ground mustard and a half teaspoon of salt. Mix it into the noodles. Also, you can add an egg for consistancy.

wendy46121
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

Wow 1.50 for your turkey, its almost 4 dollar here for a pound of ground turkey.

well the best stuff is like $4/lb (all white meat)  but the 93/7 turkey is $1.50/lb

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM

oh the 93/7 here is still almost 4 bucks

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Here too!

Quoting smurfy88:

oh the 93/7 here is still almost 4 bucks

Kelly,Fall 2008 babies! CO-Group Owner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)