Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Toddlers oral hygiene

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM
  • 8 Replies

How old were your kids when you started flossing their teeth and letting them use normal toothpaste, not the training toothpaste.

by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
runner-mom
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

oh maaaannnn. I told my mom the other day that  my LEAST favorite part of parenthood is brushing their teeth. It was literally a screaming match for all of us. 

Last week, I went out and bought Kid Colgate Watermelon flavored toothpaste. I'm sure it is probably one of the worst things I could give them, it's green, sparkly, and full of chemicals, but darn it if they don't both LOVE brushing their teeth now.  They both HATED the baby toothpaste and HATED the training toothpaste.

They are 3.5 and 1.5 by the way.

Flossing? We'll work towards that once the traumatizing effects of brushing teeth in the past wear off  a bit more. 

Does anyone know of a more natural based toothpaste that doesn't taste horribly minty?

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

My daughter is 2 (shes gonna be 3 in october) and she will let me brush her teeth but runs if i pull out the floss. I hate the training tooth paste though, I feel its not REALLY cleaning her teeth but she doesnt understand to spit the toothpaste out yet.

wendy46121
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I have a 2 yr old and 3 yr old, and 12 yr old.  I have brushed their teeth since their teeth popped through :) [12 yr old brushes her own now] I JUST started flossing their [toddler] teeth.  We use Toms of Maine, its a natural toothpaste, and it is strawberry flavored, and they both love it.  

It was a screaming match with my 2 yr old until about a month ago, when she suddenly decided she likes brushing her teeth. Now it is way better, and easier, to get them both brushed twice per day.  

I have a lot of dental issues with her (2 yr old) she has 8 cavaties  :(  I dont even know WHY!!  My 3 yr old and 12 yr old both have zero cavaties.  I do nothing different.  My *guess* is (from a friends help) she probably have soft enamel... also the dental assistant was telling me that if her teeth are close together that could be another big reason (they are... while the 3 yr olds teeth are well spaced, the 2yr olds teeth are right ON each other) Soooo she needs dental surgery (under anesthesia) to get them all fixed :*(  my poor baby. 

olgabillman07
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I have been brushing my sons teeth since he was about one. We just switched to normal tooth paste (its still kids though) and he will be three in September. I do not floss his teeth yet. I'm lucky if I can do the 2 minute twice daily rule.

We use the Tom's Maine stuff as well. My son doesn't complain about the taste. Luckily, his teeth are far apart and his dentist, who he sees every six months, isn't too worried about flossing just yet.

DestMasters
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I "brushed" my kids' teeth when they started teething using the little fingertip nubby thing and warm water.  Then just used a flouride-free, SLS-free toothpaste.  It's still a chore getting them to floss and brush well.  I wonder if that ever stops being a challenge.

WonderMom05
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM

My children still use training toothpaste and they are 3yrs. I dont floss there teeth maybe at 5yrs, when they can sit there with out whining. 

misunderstood1
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM

my 21 month old uses regular toothpaste and we have taught her to spit it out in toilet so shes fine with that. ive actually brushed her teeth 3x this afternoon because of the stuff shes been eating lol...i havent tried to floss yet though...soon. 

wendy46121
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I dreaded flossing too, but it actually ended up being really easy.  If your kids understand when you say "open wide" or whatever to get them to open, then get the flossing sticks, and its a piece of cake!  

It really is important to floss their teeth, especially if they eat table food, and if their teeth are close together.  

http://www.dentek.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=9

These are great.  If you can get them to open up from brushing then you can add an extra 30 seconds for flossing too :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)