Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I am here to be your project

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello :) I'm new(ish) here. And already feeling very out of place.

I used to be a very healthy person. Raised on a small farm, grew our own food, frequented farmers co-ops, made our own cleansers, etc, etc.

Then I left California and let me tell you- life is different on the east coast! Also, I grew up, so that was part of it :)

I am a married-yet-doing-it-myself mom to 2 girls. I am trying to get us ALL into a healthier lifestyle. I try to feed them well, but we are *ahem* very low income. I do what I can and it seems to be going fairly well. I learned a few lessons the hard way and I'm sure I will again. But I learn. And I'm willing to be taught.

My DESIRE is to raise a healthier family. My bottom line is cheap, though.

How do you reconcile the two?

by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I am trying to do the same thing, cheaply because my husband is the only one working right now so here is a bump!

DestMasters
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I know this seems like it's pounded into the ground but beans and rice are cheap.  Plus, and this is huge, most beans, when served with rice, created a complete protein. That means it's more nutritious and also more filling.

We also tend to use every scrap of food we can so if Steve brings home a roasted chicken (something he's notorious for doing when it's his night to make dinner), after it's been eaten, any leftovers are made in to soup or chicken salad or added to something else.

I totally get what you're saying though. We've taken so many major financial hits over the last five years....going from bad to worse. We're about to take another one and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how we'll buy the yogurt that is most healthy, the organic fruits, etc.  It's a challenge for sure.

Keigha.Mak
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM

You know what? You wanting a healthier lifestyle is great!!! & you can definately do it. When my DH and I first got together we always bought whatever we wanted from grocery stores. Chips, pop, TV dinners, etc. Once my DS turned 1 I decided I didn't want junk in our house anymore. So we started buying healthier alternatives. I buy the cheapest items from each store... meaning, sometimes you do have to shop around. After you get used to what the stores offer - who has the best bulk selection, who has the cheapest organic fruit, etc. it will be much less expensive in the long run with much higher quality. My grocery bills have greatly reduce. I shop in the bulk section, I no longer buy anything processed, I always shop at the farmer's Market in the summers before I go shopping for produce, my DH and I have our own garden to harvest at the end of the summer and we can a lot of it, I make 3 vegetarian meals a week (free range meat is expensive) and I make my dinners in bulk. That way I can make my own freezer meals. Part of what makes being healthy expensive is replacing all of your current food with healthier alternatives (clearing out your pantry to make room for new), and learning how to cook with bulk food items and vegetarian alternatives. You will get the hang of it and realize it is cheaper to go healthier.

parrishsky
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Well I find that choosing fresh foods is much cheaper than processed foods. The more I buy in a package the more my grocery bills go up. I also believe in meal planning. Every weekend I make a list of what I want provide in meals and then I go shopping.   Curried carrot soup with home made croutons made from day old bread, lentils makes enough for 2 meals, big salads are common in this house as are baked potatoes with fixins. The moment we spend money on packaged meals or carbs in a box as I call it I spend too much and the food tends to be less pleasing on the table. I also buy in bulk or what's on sale. I plan around it and of course we eat less meat not only because of my taste but also because of my budget. We're used to it, pasta dinners such as bowtie with panchetta and peas is an option as is linguini with a simple clam sauce (canned clams on sale!).... You get the picture. Meal planning and fresh is key! Good luck Em!

emhain
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM

This is all great information. Thanks.

I do have some questions, though. Actually, let's just call them what they are- hurdles.

My husband is a carnivore (according to him). He will cope with chicken but he wants red meat more often than not. Dinner without meat is not dinner for him. If I cook w/o meat, I know for sure he is running to McDonalds later. I can't afford all that.

He is not interested in being healthy. At all. He is so stubborn that mules don't like him. As an example- he smokes and does not believe that secondhand smoke is bad for people. WILL NOT believe it. Says it is a conspiracy. You see what I'm up against here? He also believes that all the vitamins he could possibly need come in his multivitamin. It is not necessary for him to eat vegetables. He is a gym rat and believes he is the healthiest person on earth because of it.

He has also been hospitalized twice for severely low potassium levels. Go figure.

Anyway... he is my problem. (In so many ways, but let's stay on topic, lol). Has anyone else had to deal with an unsupportive family member in this area? Aside from selling him on eBay, how can I deal with him?

emhain
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I do this, but backwards. I look at the sales and what I'll be getting from my Angel Food delivery. I plan meals around that and then shop. And in the last month I have begun to shop at several different stores. So i'm getting the savings down pretty well. Now I just have to convert regular savings to healthy savings!

Quoting parrishsky:

Well I find that choosing fresh foods is much cheaper than processed foods. The more I buy in a package the more my grocery bills go up. I also believe in meal planning. Every weekend I make a list of what I want provide in meals and then I go shopping.   Curried carrot soup with home made croutons made from day old bread, lentils makes enough for 2 meals, big salads are common in this house as are baked potatoes with fixins. The moment we spend money on packaged meals or carbs in a box as I call it I spend too much and the food tends to be less pleasing on the table. I also buy in bulk or what's on sale. I plan around it and of course we eat less meat not only because of my taste but also because of my budget. We're used to it, pasta dinners such as bowtie with panchetta and peas is an option as is linguini with a simple clam sauce (canned clams on sale!).... You get the picture. Meal planning and fresh is key! Good luck Em!

parrishsky
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

You can do it Em!

As far as your man. I get it. My husband is a meat eater too, pork is his fav and its my daughters and my least fav. We just compromise. When I do cook meat there is always an healthy alternative. Such as the peas w/pasta or a baked potatoe.  DD adds shredded cheese and broccoli. Hubby can deal with it but he prefers to see meat on his plate. My benefit is that I do most of the shopping so I make the decisions, period.  If you bought meat in bulk like at Costco it is much cheaper, make the cuts smaller portions and cook it along side your preferred choice. I make veggie lasagna at least 2x a month and hubby always says "you mean a meat lasagna?"  and I say "no, deal with it." I guess sad for him that he does.... but I shop, I cook, he has to live with it.

I do cook a whole chicken every other week and he eats on it for days... And I do make small turkeys once in a while and chili with meat that he just loves. Anything that he can nosh on for days works well in our home.

simple_ole_me
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Maybe we can sell both our husbands as a 2 for 1 deal, eh? I totally get your frustration! I live with it on a daily basis. My husband is 28 and is perhaps the most stubborn man in the state of Michigan. He believes because he can do 50 one handed push-ups, can bench press God knows how much (I don't care anymore) and the fact his muscles are the size of Hercules, he IS healthy. Forget the fact that his triglycerides, cholesterol, and blood pressure are through the roof. He's taking medication that my 65 year old father is taking. He drinks pop like I should drink water. The only thing I have on my side is the fact that my husband WILL NOT grocery shop. Therefore, if I don't buy junk, he won't eat junk. He does go to the gas station quite often though to buy his pop. I will not buy pop. I refuse to buy pop. I won't even allow his pop to sit in our refrigerator. Why must it take up the space that my wonderfully nutritious hand picked strawberries deserve more? Yes, call me wife from hell. I don't even have any advice for you... but man, I feel better!

Quoting emhain:

This is all great information. Thanks.

I do have some questions, though. Actually, let's just call them what they are- hurdles.

My husband is a carnivore (according to him). He will cope with chicken but he wants red meat more often than not. Dinner without meat is not dinner for him. If I cook w/o meat, I know for sure he is running to McDonalds later. I can't afford all that.

He is not interested in being healthy. At all. He is so stubborn that mules don't like him. As an example- he smokes and does not believe that secondhand smoke is bad for people. WILL NOT believe it. Says it is a conspiracy. You see what I'm up against here? He also believes that all the vitamins he could possibly need come in his multivitamin. It is not necessary for him to eat vegetables. He is a gym rat and believes he is the healthiest person on earth because of it.

He has also been hospitalized twice for severely low potassium levels. Go figure.

Anyway... he is my problem. (In so many ways, but let's stay on topic, lol). Has anyone else had to deal with an unsupportive family member in this area? Aside from selling him on eBay, how can I deal with him?

Kimra
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM

my suggestion for you man is to cook him his meat in a crock pot (since he seems like a meat and potatoes type of guy) and he can eat that for leftovers for a few days while you and girls eat fresh cooked dinner every day...haha, well maybe this can work...chicken is the cheapest you can go, price wise so maybe try to find some new recipes on cooking it...also, watch some videos on youtube on new ways of cooking things...you might surprise him with some really tasty healthy dishes and he might change his view on healthy food...

hearing about you hubby makes me more appreciative of mine...i'm sorry to hear you hubby won't ditch the smoking habit and doesn't want to eat healthy...i'll keep you in my thoughts!!! peace

proverbs2410
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I think an AMAZING start would be to start growing your own veggies and fruits again. That saves me a ton of money when I plant gardens and harvest in summer.  =) Very healthy, very frugal, and pretty fun too.  Lol.  Your girls would probably love to help you plant an tend to your garden too.  All kids seem to like dirt!  LOL.  =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)