Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flirting with a Vegetarian Diet

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hello Fellow Healthy Moms,

I just finished reading The Kind Diet  by Alicia Silverstone.  She used to be a meat/dairy consumer, but is now a vegan.  I've decided to "flirt" (as Alicia calls it) with the vegetarian lifestyle for awhile.

She mentions how easily her weight was maintained, how great she felt and how clear her skin looked after going vegan.  I got an instant case of "I-want-whatever-she's-having" mentality to see if I, too,  would have similar results.  So far, I've been meat and mostly dairy-free for ~ 6 weeks.  I do feel better and lighter. (my clothes are fitting looser; I've lost a few pounds to boot!)  My acne-prone skin has improved too!

So far, I've enjoyed trying different foods.  I was a huge milk and cheese addict before---not anymore!  I now thoroughly enjoy Vanilla Almond Milk mixed with plain rice milk.  I love cereal; so I had to find a milk-substitute that was palatable!  For my cheese cravings, I now use veggie slices and shredded soy-based cheese.  There is slight difference in taste, but not too drastic.

I first checked the book out from our local library.  It had such an impact on me, I had to buy it. 

I'd love to hear from anyone else who is either vegetarian or 'flirting' with it as I am.  :)

Michelle

by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I tend to go vegetarian when we have money. Being vegetarian is expensive and right now we're living off one income but when dh finds a new job then I'll be there again!! Mine is for different reasons though. When I eat meat I can see the animal in my head and it makes me feel horrible. I just can't buy enough fresh foods. Right now we're eating a lot of beans so we do have some meatless meals but that canned tuna and chicken comes in pretty handy right now and eating chicken and fish doesn't hurt as much as a cow or a cute pig. LOL!

Vegetarianmama
by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM
Read 'eating animals' by Jonathan safran foer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimra
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

being vegetarian is only expensive is you buy all the pre packaged vegetarian and/or vegan products..i rarely spend money on the soy "meats"...i make my own burgers out of beans and tofu, both of which are very inexpensive in comparison to how many meals i can get out of them...

Quoting ziff130:

I tend to go vegetarian when we have money. Being vegetarian is expensive and right now we're living off one income but when dh finds a new job then I'll be there again!! Mine is for different reasons though. When I eat meat I can see the animal in my head and it makes me feel horrible. I just can't buy enough fresh foods. Right now we're eating a lot of beans so we do have some meatless meals but that canned tuna and chicken comes in pretty handy right now and eating chicken and fish doesn't hurt as much as a cow or a cute pig. LOL!

Kimra
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:52 AM

i've been vegan for several years, and going vegan was an easy choice for me once i tested it out...i had immediate results when it came to my health...i stopped getting sick (it seemed like i had a cold 80% of the time) and then my headaches went away...i was also very sensitive to light but after a few weeks of being vegan that was completely gone...my hubby and i were both amazed at the results...the thing that surprised me even more is that i was already vegetarian for 9 years prior to becoming vegan, and i had never felt so awesome...there are many many health benefits of being vegan...and this is only one of about a HUNDRED reasons why i'm vegan..have fun testing out vegetarianism!!

outstandingLove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM

i am flirting with the vegetarian lifestlye.

Right now i am a semi-vegetarian, which means i still eat poultry and fish but no other meats. I still consume meat products like milk and eggs. But i make a point not to use poultry and/or fish in every meal. Many of the foods we eat are ovo-lacto vegetarian dishes.

I used to eat red meat. I hope that in a year or two i'll be a full ovo-lacto vegetarian.

yogapantz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:36 AM

I'm flirting with it too, and if it asks me out, I am totally putting out on the first date.

Seriously though, we stopped buying meat (mostly to save money) and in the past month I've lost another 8-10 lbs without trying.

ziff130
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I was referring more to the milk and dairy products (yogurt and cheese stuff). Tofu is expensive too. The only thing that's affordable are the beans. I make a pretty darn good black bean burger though. :) Like I said, we have many meals made out of beans.... it's the dairy stuff that I can't figure out how to replace inexpensively... the vegan side... not just vegetarian. I never buy/bought prepackaged food. It's too expensive, meatless or not.

I make a lot of pasta dishes right now (since pasta is cheap) and mix canned chicken or tuna with them. What's  bean that would go well with pasta salads or spaghetti? Garbanzo??

Quoting Kimra:

being vegetarian is only expensive is you buy all the pre packaged vegetarian and/or vegan products..i rarely spend money on the soy "meats"...i make my own burgers out of beans and tofu, both of which are very inexpensive in comparison to how many meals i can get out of them...

Quoting ziff130:

DestMasters
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM

LOL, tis hard to say no, isn't it?

Quoting yogapantz:

I'm flirting with it too, and if it asks me out, I am totally putting out on the first date.

Seriously though, we stopped buying meat (mostly to save money) and in the past month I've lost another 8-10 lbs without trying.

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!

DestMasters
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I've been vegetarian on and off all my life. I never really liked meat too much.  Once I was an adult and read about some of the health issues I was dealing with (Migraines, digestive issues) I realized that maybe I didn't like meat too much because it didn't like me and my body must've known this.  I'm not vegan yet. I love cheese and it's one of our staples. I can get the kids to eat vegetarian if there's cheese involved. Feeding five (sometimes more) it's really not in our finances to do the non-dairy cheeses.  I do try to make conscious decisions about where the dairy is coming from.

I've lost about 25 pounds in the last, I don't know, 8 months just from not eating meat.  Before that, I was still eating meat, fish only, and dropped a few pounds then as well.

I'm dying to read that book and the Eating Animals. They're in my Kindle wish list. :)

Nykyria
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Unfortunately I could never go vegetarian. There are times when I go meatless for several days in a row but thats it for me. My family would freak out if I tried to change their diet. LOL I use recipes and change things up on them constantly, they don't even know. Other than that I think they are hopeless for now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)