Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vegetarian/vegan recipes

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM
  • 3 Replies

I thought it would be fun to start a post w/ meatless recipes. Several people seemed interested.... to be "flirting" with the idea, as it was put in another post. So... I thought it would be fun to get some recipes going so we could flirt a little more seriously. ;)

Black Bean Burgers
adapted from Epicurious.com

3 cups black beans, prepared
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp plus 1/2 cup chunky salsa for topping
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce

Prepare the beans, if using dry. Drain liquid from cans or prepared beans. Mash beans, add ingredients mixing well together. Form into patties and cook on a skillet over the stove in a little oil, or on the grill. Be careful when flipping so they won't fall apart. Cook on a grill over low heat for 3 minutes on each side or until they develop the crust you want. Top with salsa or other toppings. Enjoy!

Garbanzo and vegetables

Another favorite was to defrost some frozen mixed veggies, mix them with garbanzo beans (there's the protein) and top w/ italian dressing. yum yum!

Portabello Mushroom Burgers

Just use a portabello mushroom and remove the stem. Cut small slices in the top of the cap and run oil, garlic or whatever seasonings you like (I love Rosemary) and grill them or broil them like you would a beef patty. I am the only one in the family who likes it this way so there's a lonly mushroom on a pan with the beef. I LOVE it though. It's great on a bun w/ avacado slices on it too.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I actually just found this recipe and am going to try it, i just  bought all the ingredients yesterday lol

minneapolismama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM

i love mushrooms like that! dh doesn't, and ds likes his cut up instead of on a bun. 

Kimra
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:10 AM

i don't have an exact recipes but here's how i make my vegan pesto sauce

i take about 2 cups of cashews, half a garlic clove, about a cup of pine nuts, about 2 cups of nutritional yeast flakes and LOTS of fresh basil...i blend them in the food processor and slowly add some extra virgin olive oil...add evoo until the pesto sauce is the consistency you like...then i add some salt and blend it a little more until it is all smooth but still a little bit chunky...then i mix it with some fresh pasta noodles or some sauteed tofu...i put the tofu in a tortilla with other veggies...i love pesto sauce made like this...its full of protein and iron!!

i wish i had some recipes...i've been veg for so long that i just know how to cook everything by "eyeballing" it...i do have some great cupcake and cinnamon roll recipes but they are a secret...my hubby won't let me tell others about it because he wants me to publish a book with them...maybe some day  : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)