Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

McDonald's McNuggets made with 'Silly Putty' chemical

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm not saying any one here buys this crap... just please spread the word...

This is digusting!!!

Do you like McNuggets? Do you feed them to your kids? Does it even surprise you that McNuggets contain a chemical that's also used in "Silly Putty"....

What kid doesn't love McDonald's Chicken McNuggets? The white meat chunks are tasty and perfect for little mouths and hands. And while most parents are aware that McNuggets aren't perfectly healthy, they probably don't know exactly what goes into making them.

CNN has revealed that the fast-food chain makes this popular menu item with the chemical preservative tBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product. Mcnuggets also contain dimethylpolysiloxane, "an anti-foaming agent" also used in Silly Putty.

Across the Atlantic in Britain, McNuggets don't contain these chemicals and they're less fattening.

CNN reports:

McDonald's says the differences are based on the local tastes: In the United States, McNuggets are coated and then cooked, in the United Kingdom, they are cooked and then coated. As a result, the British McNuggets absorb less oil and have less fat.
Dimethylpolysiloxane is used as a matter of safety to keep the oil from foaming, [Lisa McComb, who handles global media relations for McDonald's,] says. The chemical is a form of silicone also used in cosmetics and Silly Putty. A review of animal studies by The World Health Organization found no adverse health effects associated with dimethylpolysiloxane.
TBHQ is a preservative for vegetable oils and animal fats, limited to .02 percent of the oil in the nugget. One gram (one-thirtieth of an ounce) can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse," according to "A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives."
Does this mean that you should keep your kids away from McNuggets altogether?

Marion Nestle, a New York University professor and author of "What to Eat," told CNN that the tertiary butylhydroquinone and dimethylpolysiloxane in the McNuggets probably pose no health risks. But she added that as a general rule parents shouldn't feed their children foods with an ingredients you can't pronounce.

Try pronouncing dimethylpolysiloxane...it's not easy.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=66729

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=66729#ixzz0sCF06R4V

by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
healthymomemily
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

This is disturbing. I would never eat these let alone let my kid have them but I know millions out there do.  They really need to start regulating the food that fast food chains are serving to families.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

wow that is super gross, especially since I just ate some today.

DestMasters
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Oh how gross. We don't do McD's at all. I don't allow it in the house and since fast food is a rarity, McD's is the last choice anyone has. While I know McD's food is garbage (they're the number 1 buyer of factory beef in the country), petroleum products and silly putty ingredients pretty much take the cake.

LilMamaCas
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM

BUMP!

parrishsky
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

If we go to McD's (it's rare) I just get the fries, but steer clear away from the mystery meat. Which now is not so much a mystery anymore...

mama_2_jasper
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

GROSS!!!

yogapantz
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I have no problem pronouncing the names, but I"m still avoiding them from now on. Yuck.

KITTYCAT1
My little guy starts preschool tomorrow.....I'm excited for him, but nervous, lol.
Today at 3:24 PM
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Disgusting....glad I haven't eaten at McDonald's in over 5 years.

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:08 AM

That is so.. GROSS! These ingredients are why I avoid processed foods!

CLICK TO SEE WHAT'S NEW IN OUR GROUP FOR ATTACHMENT/NATURAL MOMS!

BabyBumbleBee
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Um... just in case anyone was wondering, this compound is found in many processed foods and fast food products.  So before everyone starts boo-hooing Mc Donalds, lets just remember that they're not the only culprit.  They are just an easy target because they're such a big franchise.

I'm not saying you should eat Mc Donalds... I'm just saying it's more common than you think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)