Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Hey There Mommas,

I am feeling very blue these past couple of days, wondering and fixating on what I consider happiness. It seems like I can come up with a decent list of things in my life that are positive and meaningful, but yet at the end of the day I still stress, mope, and cry myself to sleep sometimes. I guess I just need some words of motivation and inspiration. I love my Husband and my baby so very much, they are my world, they don't deserve to have me walking around on the verge of tears all day. I don't know if it is possibly post-partum depression or guilt or disatisfaction or just plain selfishness. I just need to get out of this slump and see the beauty in each and every day....Any suggestions or words of encouragement?

by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM
Replies (11-15):
MyLittleMan2010
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Thank You so much ladies!

UnAutre
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Having a baby is a huge event on physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels.  Even though it is a positive event, the adjustment can take time.  This is very normal and everyone's response varies. 

It is possible you could be feeling some post-partum depression.  That's common for new moms and there are ways to effectively manage those symptoms.  You may want to talk to your doctor about going on a dose of anti-depressants for a while to see if that helps.  Other moms here have mentioned outdoor exercise, which also beneficial.  (BTW, pushing a baby in a stroller burns up to 25% more calories!)  Taking time to be with supportive friends, whether it's for lunch or a playdate is also helpful.  Sometimes scheduling some away time to get a pedicure or a massage, while Dad or another family member watches the baby, can give you a mental lift.  Women really don't do that enough because they feel guilty spending time away from their kids, but we have to nourish and balance ourselves or we won't have anything left to give anyone.

When my daughter was an infant, we attended a mommy and me baby yoga class, where I met some other local moms with newborns.  That helped a lot, because in the beginning being at home with your baby can be a little isolating.  I eventually got to know some other moms through a local list-serv and it's nice to have that connection if there are questions or just need to vent!

It's OK to have highs and lows - not just now, but in all walks of life.  People think that we need to be happy all the time.  The truth is, everything in life is a cycle and the lows help us learn what we need out of life in order to live it fully.  I remind myself that when I'm feeling low that even though I'm on the downside, there is going to be an upside soon.  When I can see the bigger perspective, it helps me feel more hopeful about what's coming my way. 

Feel better soon!!

samgerbine
by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I would think PPD.  The easiest way I found to rid myself of it was exercise! You don't need medication, there are plenty of natural ways to take care of your mood. It will pass!

Take time for yourself each day. I feel happier when I take a few for myself and exercise.

ziff130
by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I've never had PPD but I remember as a new mom I felt completely trapped and overwhelmed. I couldn't hang out with my friends anymore b/c I had another life I was responsible for. I remember reading a book or article (I can't remember what it was) and the author was talking about how she finally just had to live in the moment. When she was playing with her child she focused on that, when she went on a picnic she was at the picnic. Her mind wasn't wondering around to "after we leave here I have to drop by the grocery store and pick up bread and then I must remember to rotate the laundry and put the sheets on the bed after a pull the meat out of the freezer to defrost...) You get the idea. That was a total turning point to me. I just focus on what I'm doing and I don't worry so much about everything else. I know that I have to get it done and it does. The house is clean but I also have time to enjoy the smaller things and I block the other stuff out of my head. I also meditate daily and I feel like it's a great time to re-energize. If you're religious you can plan meditation around your prayer/scripture study time or whatever. It only takes a few minutes and is great for some "me" time that we all need. I hope you feel happier soon!! HUGS!

lakidd12765
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Roadtrips...I love to travel although I haven't travelled much since I have been married for the past almost 11 and a half years. Although I did get away for 2 weeks all by myself with husband and/or kids. I drove out to Delaware and stayed at my aunts place while she was in Florida. So I had the whole house to myself with no internet, no cable tv and all I had for communicating to anyone was my cell phone. Had a lot time to r&r&r (rest relax and reflect) It was good for my spirit and getting antsy to do it more. Planning a girls trip to Boston in October for about 5 days. No husband or kids invited :0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN