Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Soda

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM
  • 40 Replies

In our house, we drink water and sweet tea (that I make) more often than anything else. I keep organic milk and almond milk in the fridge as well and will sometimes make juice when there are oranges on the trees.

I don't let my kids have soda every day and sometimes they don't have any for weeks at a time.  When they do have it - at least when I'm around - it's soda I get from NutritionSmart that's sweetened with honey or sugar and doesn't have added nasty stuff in it.  I also try to buy the ones that don't have "flavoring", i.e., if it's Root Beer it'll have sasparilla root, etc.

Recently, Dr. Pepper and Pepsi came out with "retro" sodas that are sweetened with sugar instead of HFCS.  A friend gave me a Dr. Pepper and it was amazing. It tasted like they did when I was a child. I don't remember when the soda companies switched to HFCS exactly but I know the flavor did change.  Sadly, there is still a lot of added junk in the Dr. Pepper including caffiene.  Why that needs added is anyone's guess.

So, do you allow soda in the house?  Do you read even soda labels?  How do you control the amount of soda your kids drink?  Do you limit your own intake of soda? 

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!

by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yogapantz
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I only drink Diet Coke, as far as sodas go.  My girls don't seem to like it, one prefers fruit juice and the other ice water. They will both drink iced tea if they have to. We don't buy sodas to drink at home anymore, and we rarely go out to eat.

CurvieMomma
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I don't keep soda in my house. The drink choices I have available are milk or water. Occasionally I'll make fresh squeezed lemonade. When we go out to dinner or to a movie I do allow my kids to have a soda sometimes. Of course when they are visiting grandparents they get to indulge in all of the sodas and sweets. I don't read soda labels and can't remember the last time I had a soda. I quit drinking them completely a few years ago and gave up sweet tea last year when I started losing weight.

runner-mom
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I personally have a horrific soda addiction (mountain dew) that I am trying to break. That said, I put such a horrible connotation on soda that my 3 year old will tell anyone who listens that soda is disgusting, LOL.  Once he did have a sip of sprite and the carbonation freaked him out.

So, no, my boys NEVER drink soda, and I'm slowly trying to wean myself off of it, so soon we won't even have the junk in our house.

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

meglennox
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM
I don't give my kids soda everyday as we don't keep soda in the house. But they both have had sprite when we've gone out to eat. Which that doesn't happen often. My oldest has had watered down Pepsi, which is my fav soda. I believe in moderation. It's a treat. Most days they get milk, juice and water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nykyria
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

We do not have soda in the house, its water, milk or sun tea. My 13 dd drinks water by choice, she tells me its good for her skin. Yay. She listened to someone. My 11 y/o loves milk and I have to push the water on her. Soda only if we go some place, if they want it and then no caffeine in it.

clarewillow
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I have pretty much weaned myself off of soda. Occassionally I will have one or allow the kids to have some but it is not an everyday thing.  The only soda in our house right now is Travis's Dr. Pepper and he drinks that instead of coffee.

.MommaFied.
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

All I drink is pop (Pepsi). I hate water and tea is just nasty. Every once in a great while in the summer I'll drink some Kool-Aid. DF also drinks pretty much nothing but Mt. Dew. When we get thirsty, that's what we want. Nothing else will quench my thirst until I drink some Pepsi. I hate it and wish I wasn't so addicted, but oh well. My kids on the other hand, are NEVER allowed pop. Ever. If someone gives it to them (which hasn't happened yet) I would be livid.

in lovebaby girltoddler girlttc

Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM

We keep soda in the house. My kids are allowed one soda a day. I consider it the "poor persons ritalin". I try to keep my intake to one a day too. There are days though that require so much of my time and energy I occasionally break that limit. It one of my few sins that I have left. I'm going to enjoy this one!

BTW, I fully expect soft drink companies to be sued just as cigarette companies have been, in the near future. I see them as a major contributor to getting diabetes. My rule is for every ounce of soft drink or any other drink I have, I drink two ounces of water. I suspect if everyone did that they'd be healthier, lose weight and drink less sodas.

ziff130
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

We don't have soda in the house. We have almond milk, water and juice but the juice I add to their water as a little bit of flavoring so it's always flavored water and it's 100% juice. Only juice and water in the ingredients.

Once, we went out to eat and the restaurant only sold sodas and alcohol. We weren't too impressed so we ordered the kids a soda and watered it down for them. Their eyes burned and they said it was too strong. They had water instead. LOL!

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Coke has a soda made from real sugar to without hfcs, its in a glass bottle and its from mexico. OMG it is soooo good but it gives me way to much energy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN