Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

In our house, we drink water and sweet tea (that I make) more often than anything else. I keep organic milk and almond milk in the fridge as well and will sometimes make juice when there are oranges on the trees.

I don't let my kids have soda every day and sometimes they don't have any for weeks at a time.  When they do have it - at least when I'm around - it's soda I get from NutritionSmart that's sweetened with honey or sugar and doesn't have added nasty stuff in it.  I also try to buy the ones that don't have "flavoring", i.e., if it's Root Beer it'll have sasparilla root, etc.

Recently, Dr. Pepper and Pepsi came out with "retro" sodas that are sweetened with sugar instead of HFCS.  A friend gave me a Dr. Pepper and it was amazing. It tasted like they did when I was a child. I don't remember when the soda companies switched to HFCS exactly but I know the flavor did change.  Sadly, there is still a lot of added junk in the Dr. Pepper including caffiene.  Why that needs added is anyone's guess.

So, do you allow soda in the house?  Do you read even soda labels?  How do you control the amount of soda your kids drink?  Do you limit your own intake of soda? 

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!

by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
LorelNicolette
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM

No, we do not keep soda in the house.  The main source of hydration for all of us is water.  I also keep OJ and cranberry juice in the house.  When we do drink juice we usually water it down.

The only time we drink soda is if we order fast food, which is rare.

hannamanmommy
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I don't allow any sodas in the house. Before I got pregnant, I was drinking up to 8 diet cokes/day and I quit when I found out I was pregnant. Since I had my baby, I have not had any soda. We keep only milk, juice, coffee, and tea. I drink coffee in the mornings but don't allow myself to have anything else until I have had at least 2 liters of water for the day. 

4healthyeats
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM

i grew up in a house that always had soda but i don't remember drinking a lot of it.  I did prefer the root beers and dr peppers though.  I find the stuff now really gross (no offense).  We get soda if know company is coming that drinks it (and we try to send it home with them) but so far this isn't much of an issue.

Someone told me they would add a little fruit concentrate (like cranberry) to seltzer water and "make" their own soda. sounded interesting.

SexyAngelBaby
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 11:54 PM
I used to be addicted to drinking Mountain Dew all the time until I notice my weight gain from it. Now I just try and drink only water, crystal light and tea. Once in awhile I will drink soda but I try and drink more diet Dr. Pepper than I do Mountain Dew.

My daughter can't drink anything with caffeine or even eat chocolate because she has no tolerance to it and will get sick. So I don't let her have anything like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
omima
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:07 AM

We do not keep soda in the house at all. If we do bu soda we only buy natural soda....abosolutely no HFCS here.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM

We drink lots of water, some tea and coffee, some organic fruit juices, and almond, hemp, soy, and rice milks. Soda is a rare treat.. like for birthday parties.. and even then we buy natural soda from Whole Foods! 

CLICK TO SEE WHAT'S NEW IN OUR GROUP FOR ATTACHMENT/NATURAL MOMS!

sarfam4
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

There is rarely soda in my house any more.  I gave it up about a year and a half ago, so most of the time soda tastes really bad to me now.  For my son.  He gets it once in a great great while.  He is 5 1/2 and I would say he hasn't had more than a whole soda for each year of his life.  When I do buy soda, I get gingerale green tea by canada dry.  It is pretty good for a soda.  Once in a while, I will crave a Dr. Pepper. When I do I regret getting it because never tastes as good as I thought it would.  We mostly drink water, tea, milk, coffee.  The things that are more natural.

emhain
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I don't drink soda. It is physically painful for me to drink. I have no idea why.

We don't buy soda ever. But sometimes the kids will have some at a BBQ or a friend's house. I let it go because it probably rounds out to about 6 cans a year. If they even drink the whole thing.

melanielmcgee
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM

we do have soda in the house because my husband is a DP fiend. on the other hand we do live in tx where dr pepper was invented and we can easily get what we call dublin dr peppers. made with sugar not hfcs. good stuff. I have had discussions with my kids and they understand that its perfectly fine to indulge in junk every once in a while. that soda is junk. we try to stick to milk and water. i mean even juice is full of some sort of sugar. they seem fine with only getting to drink it sometimes. i just want to make sure they get some soda because i believe if i make it a huge no no. they will go crazy when out of my reach.

Jennibug
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I drink water and coffee only. My daughter drinks water and milk. She has an occasional juice, 100% only. Preferably fresh squeezed. She is 4, and had her first taste of soda at about 31/2. We were at the movies and she just leaned over to my husband's seat and took a big drink from his cup. Unfortunately she liked it. So now it is a treat she only gets at the theater. My 1 yr old, as of the 2nd,  drinks water and formula so far. We do not buy soda for the house. If my dh wants one he has to walk over to the market and get one at a time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN