Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

ideas for meals that are healthy and meatless??

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm trying to get more easy  make recipes that are also kind of quick and yummy(healthy) for the whole family, but i can't find many new ones and i was wondering if any of you had any that could share with me? I'm vegetarian that eats fish mainly salmon and my kids are a little picky. One likes thier food nearly plain the other prefers gourmet, seasonings etc. My kids do like chicken though any tips?

by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DestMasters
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

You didn't mention if since your pescatarian, if your kids do fish as well. Whatever meals you make you can add garnish on the side for seasonings. Things like chopped green onion, pepper flakes, crushed herbs, etc., make excellent garnish and will season things up nicely.

There are some meatless recipes in the recipe section in this forum.

You can also do pasta dishes with marinara and cheese....these are so simple. If you want to add vegs, you can sautee some before hand and mix them in or even do them on the side. I'm vegetarian and will often do squashes, spinach, mushrooms and black olives and chop them all up and mix them in to the marinara, put all that in with some ziti and then place that in a baking dish. Top with some cheese, bake it and it's easy and yummy.

Salads are also easy and can be done buffet style so those who want meat can add it, those who don't, can leave it off.

sherriet
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Dest gave great ideas.  I'm the sole veg in a house of omnivores and have to make entrees that are flexible and appeal to everyone.  When the family wants chicken, I'll bake it or put it in the crockpot and serve t with mashed potatoes, a green veggie, and salad.  Salad fixings are always in the fridge and ready to go, just like fruit.

We'll be firing up the grill in a few and have veggie and non-veggie goodies ready to go - Boca burgers, chicken, mixed veggies, corn on the cob, and pizza.  The sides are slaw, potato salad, and salad.  Oh, and we're going to try grilling peaches, too.  

Pasta meals re easy to do.  If you want to serve meat, serve grilled chicken or fish on the side or make garlic shrimp and toss with the pasta; serve bread for dipping.

I am kind of zombiefied at the moment, but I'll come back to this to add more later.

S

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I love boca burgers!

ziff130
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I want to hear about your peach grilling experience. That sounds interesting. :)

Quoting sherriet:

Oh, and we're going to try grilling peaches, too.  

S

As for quick, meatless meals... I make lots of things ahead of time, wrap them individually and then stick them in the freezer. I always have little baggies of mashed up pinto beans/refried beans in baggies in the freezer so I can make quick tacos or something. Garbanzo beans are great in veggie salads or soups.

This is a fave for my family:

Black Bean Tostadas

2 cans black beans
1 small can green chilies
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
Cumin, Cayenne, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion, Chili Powder to taste (I use about 1 tsp each)

Oil for Frying
corn tortillas

Can of corn
Can of tomatoes

Combine beans, chilies, bread crumbs and spices until smooth. Make into patties and sear until heated.

Fry tortillas for Tostadas

Combine tomatoes and corn for the salsa

Plate and ENJOY!!!!

dloand3kids
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM

We love soy curls, and so do my kids!

CurvieMomma
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM

My favorite quick meal...sloppy joes. Since your kids eat chicken you can use ground chicken or tofu or black beans. If you're using the chicken just brown it and add a can of mild (or regular if you and your kids like spicy) rotel some onions and bell peppers and half a bottle of bbq sauce. you can either put that on bread or over brown rice. If you are using tofu or black beans, cook your bell peppers and onions first then add the tofu/black beans and the other ingredients and simmer for a few minutes. You could actually bake some fish and pour the above mixture over the fish....hmmmm I may have to make that for dinner tonight.

minneapolismama
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

pasta salad is big for me in summer. i use tri colored rotini or cavatappi pasta  and add broccoli, cauliflower (i blanch them). cucumber, zucchini, tomato, black olives and red or yellow peppers. add your favorite dressing or make one- i really like seeds of change organic tuscan herb dressing on it! it feeds us for days lol. you can add diced chicken, cheese, etc to your liking. 

also asian noodles: i use whole wheat spaghetti, thinly sliced cabbage, shredded carrot, bean sprouts, snap peas and make a dressing. tahini or peanut butter, hot water, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce (or crushed red pepper and garlic), and a bit of ginger. also good for summer and makes a lot.

homemade pizza! crust is so easy to make and then everyone can pick what they want on it.

quesadillas: whole wheat tortillas, cheese, and whatever else. i like beans or shredded carrot, zucchini, onion and bell pepper sauteed in a little olive oil with cumin, garlic, chili powder and salt. serve with salsa and guacamole or sour cream. 

lentils or beans and rice. i have a great recipe for honey baked lentils- i found it on recipezaar.com you can search for it there. 

tuna melts or sandwiches

roasted veggies or grilled veggies. you can eat them as a meal, side or put them on a good bread with cheese and make a panini...

akgraff
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM

thanks for all the great ideas!

piercedNproud
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Go to Morningstarfarms.com they have some yummy recipes!!  When i'm in the mood for bbq we bbq Morningstar Farm's Riblets,corn on the cob,and have a nice salad(hubby has some sort of meat). When I want Lemon Chicken I get Morningstar farm's Chik Griller's(idk what they r called) Patties and cook them in a skillet with lemon and lemon pepper it is so good.You could do that with some veggies.Sorry thats all I can think of right now lol.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)