Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okra

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM
  • 25 Replies

Okay, as bad as this may sound, I have NEVER had okra before. Dh's g-parents have fields of veggies and are always bringing us food. I have tomatoes, squash and cucumber coming out of my ears but I know what to do w/ all of those. They gave us a big bag of okra too... what do I do with okra? How do I prepare it? What do I make with it?? HELP!!! I'm clueless. I even had to look at the veggie to figure out what it looked like. I couldn't even remember. That's how little I know about okra. If they hadn't told me that was what it was then I wouldn't have known. *hangs head in shame* Please advise!

by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
runner-mom
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I don't know...I had never even heard of it till I moved down here to SC, and unfortunately, I've only ever heard of fried okra.  Way to ruin a good veggie people, LOL!

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I am ashamed to say the only way I've had it is fried... and I LOVE it.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Whats worse than you never having okra is that I don't even know what it is lol, I have never heard of it befor.

ziff130
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM

haha!! Well, I'm feeling a bit better.

Here's a pic of it:

This is it chopped up...

Here it is whole and how mine look. ;)

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM

oh yuck, it doesnt look very appetizing, but I also dont like veggies... especially green ones :(

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM

It doesn't taste like a green veggie, I promise.

DestMasters
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Okra.....oh my, it's one of my favorite vegetables. I will tell you that if you simply boil it, it is SLIMY so don't do that.  There are lots of things you can do with it though.  If you want to slice it (sort of large, like 3/4" slices) and add it to soup it's really good. It also thickens it a little. Okra is great in gumbo and jambalaya.  Fried is amazing though not super healthy. I still think if it's fried right it's not UNhealthy.

My youngest LOVES pickled okra if it's spicy.

There are some decent recipes here.

If you don't want to fool with it, I'll send you my address. ;-)

sherriet
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Okra is on e of our favorites!  We're going to grow it starting next year.  Our favorite way to have i is sauteed (in water or a touch of oil) with corn and onions. when those are all soft and the corn is slightly browned, we add tomatoes (diced, canned or fresh) and simmer until it's heated.  We serve it over rice.  It's a monthly side (or entree when cooked black beans or lima beans are added with the tomatoes) and we never get tired of it.  I have eaten big bols of it for  breakfast. 

It freezes really well.  If you use frozen okra when you make this, you won't need to add oil at all.  Season it to taste.  I'll add a touch of salt (or Bragg's) and garlie powder (the kids hate pieces of garlic in their food).

And picked okra is yummers.  You can cheat pickle by adding them to leftover picke brine and waiting 2 days before serving.

HTH,

S

bronsmom
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I use okra in my vegetable soup by crock pot. It is wonderful along with celery, carrots, lima beans, onions, cabbage, etc...

lepling
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I buy it frozen and pre-chopped. I put it in the crock pot with my chili and my girls have no idea it's there! It's a great way to sneak veggies in! It makes the chili really thick too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)