Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Okay, as bad as this may sound, I have NEVER had okra before. Dh's g-parents have fields of veggies and are always bringing us food. I have tomatoes, squash and cucumber coming out of my ears but I know what to do w/ all of those. They gave us a big bag of okra too... what do I do with okra? How do I prepare it? What do I make with it?? HELP!!! I'm clueless. I even had to look at the veggie to figure out what it looked like. I couldn't even remember. That's how little I know about okra. If they hadn't told me that was what it was then I wouldn't have known. *hangs head in shame* Please advise!

by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Replies (21-25):
rocknroth
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Oh Lordie! Sherriet has it right on!

I slice it up and fry it in a little bacon fat...then, I can combine it with corn, or add it to stewed tomatoes.

Roll it in corn meal and re-fry or batter it and deep fry it OMG!

To get around the slime, you could also dry 'fry' it on a non-stick pan to dry it before adding it to veggies.

I have even seasoned with with Crab Boil and had it with fish dishes. But, the battered and fried is so awesome! But don't tell my Little Black Book-Daily Food Diary!!! lol

Mortiferouslatt
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Okra soup...usually beef based (you can boil down ox tail to make your own broth or just use a beef or vegetable broth) i usually make it with vegetable broth, onions and tomatoes and we have it with brown rice...its very good. or...stewed tomatoes and okra..also good over rice.

julipickle2
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Quoting bronsmom:

I use okra in my vegetable soup by crock pot. It is wonderful along with celery, carrots, lima beans, onions, cabbage, etc...

Good idea!  I'll have to try that!

jcsafc51
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Quoting sherriet:

Okra is on e of our favorites!  We're going to grow it starting next year.  

HTH,

S

have grown okra from seed; it produces quite a few per plant, kind of like zucchini only smaller. You need to keep it picked pretty young and small or the okra pods grow big and woody.

litninbug
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Quoting bronsmom: Sounds yummy!!! Need to try!!!

I use okra in my vegetable soup by crock pot. It is wonderful along with celery, carrots, lima beans, onions, cabbage, etc...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)