Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Which Foods do you buy Organic?

Stay at Home Moms Connect! http://www.cafemom.com/group/110548

by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
minneapolismama
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 9:39 AM

berries, always now. apples, peaches, celery almost always. yogurt is often organic whole milk with the cream on top. we joined a certified organic csa so we get a big box of produce from a farm every week so most veggies we eat are organic and i buy whatever organic fruit/veggies are on sale that week. i don't bother with organic watermelon, bananas, citrus, mango or pineapple unless they are cheaper than regular. 

milk we used to always get local unhomogenized but now that ds wont drink it, i can't (dd is nursing and very sensitive to dairy) dh is the only one and buys himself regular. i drink almond or coconut, they are not organic. i do buy some organic beans, chicken stock, tomatoes/pasta sauce, meat, chips, cheese, crackers, etc especially if they are on sale or for my kids. i shop 75% at whole foods and trader joes so most things there, even if not organic, don't have msg or artificial ingredients, none have hfcs and i don't worry too much about it. 

olgabillman07
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

None.

sjc0858
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I heard the best thing to buy organic (if you were to only buy one) would be the one veg/fruit you eat the most of. Banana's and melons are the safest to buy non- organic and we usually stick to these and get organic berries when we can(during the season they are cheaper)

WE buy most of our veggies from the local market here. We do not have a nice "Whole Foods or Trader here so we get what we can, when we can. I just always remember that when we are buying these foods we are voting. Costco here has a pretty good organic selection. Just bought organic rasberries for 3.99, blackberries for 4.99, huge box of organic spinach for 3.99. I get our organic chicken stock and tomato sauce organic at Costco.  Bought a huge bag of organic Flax at Costco that should last me awhile. Our Walmart sells bags of organic potatoes for pretty cheap. Just bought organic strawberries at Albertsons for 2.99. Some things really are not that much difference in price!

We def can't afford the meat but we don't eat much meat anyway.

sarfam4
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I rarely buy organic, primarily for cost purposes.  I do buy a lot of fresh produce so my grocery bill adds up to quite a bit as it is right now.  

Elsasmom
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Quoting sjc0858:

I heard the best thing to buy organic (if you were to only buy one) would be the one veg/fruit you eat the most of. Banana's and melons are the safest to buy non- organic and we usually stick to these and get organic berries when we can(during the season they are cheaper)

WE buy most of our veggies from the local market here. We do not have a nice "Whole Foods or Trader here so we get what we can, when we can. I just always remember that when we are buying these foods we are voting. Costco here has a pretty good organic selection. Just bought organic rasberries for 3.99, blackberries for 4.99, huge box of organic spinach for 3.99. I get our organic chicken stock and tomato sauce organic at Costco.  Bought a huge bag of organic Flax at Costco that should last me awhile. Our Walmart sells bags of organic potatoes for pretty cheap. Just bought organic strawberries at Albertsons for 2.99. Some things really are not that much difference in price!

We def can't afford the meat but we don't eat much meat anyway.

That's what I always say, too, we vote with our dollar.

I try to buy as much organic as I can too. We do a lot of our shopping at Whole Foods and I'm in the process of setting up a home delivery thing to get organic produce.

MorganAlise
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I always buy organic milk for my kids (ages 1&2) because I read it is better. Is this not true? I see a few comments stating there is little nutritional value in it. Help!

SouthernLady7
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM

way too expensive for my budget; however, I do watch for all natural and when organic is on sale, I'll buy fruits and veggies. 

VeganMuslimah
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I buy whatever I can afford. I ALWAYS will choose organic berries over non-organic, and I prefer organic apples and carrots. Mostly because I eat those more than any other fruits and veggies.

KelleyP77
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 1:04 AM

If it's vegetable or fruit, I buy organic if it's available.

minneapolismama
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I think they are saying that milk that is pasteurized has little value compared to raw. if you can find unhomgenized milk get that- the cream will be at the top- because it's much easier to digest. i personally don't recommend raw milk because it make my family SO sick. i would definitely get organic over conventional if you can afford it. 

Quoting MorganAlise:

I always buy organic milk for my kids (ages 1&2) because I read it is better. Is this not true? I see a few comments stating there is little nutritional value in it. Help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN