Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Stress

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have gotten so stressed in this last week from work, school, and just bad news. I started smoking, which I know isn't healthy.

So I would like some advice and help please.

What can I do to help relieve my stress before I get addicted to smoking all the time?

I don't have a lot of time I work 8 hour shifts but I drive 40 miles back and forth for work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ziff130
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I've heard that cinnamon gum or grapefruit juice are good to have when you get a craving to smoke. I have never smoked though so I don't know how well it works. Do you have 20 minutes or so to meditate or something and take time for yourself? I don't really know. I feel that stress is very personal and we all deal with it differently. We all have it and just have to learn how our bodies react to it and then figure out how to respond to that to better cope. Good luck!

DestMasters
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM

While nicotine isn't healthy, the other garbage in cigarettes is even worse.  The tar and other toxins will get on your clothes, in your hair, etc., and can be as bad as second hand smoke. Given that, even if you don't smoke around your kids or other people, even the residue on your clothes is damaging to them.

If you've already got the nicotine bug, don't allow yourself to buy or bum cigarettes. If you absolutely must have the nicotine, buy nicotine gum or lozenges. It's not the same but at least you're not damaging others around you and the damage to yourself is less.

Deep breathing can help stress a LOT.  The key is to allow yourself to do it. When I'm feeling like I'm about to snap because of stress I force myself to stop.  Literally. I'll stop in the middle of the room, going up the stairs, whatever.  I take a huge deep breath in through my nose, hold it for about2 or 3 seconds then exhale as slowly as I can through my mouth with my lips sort or "puckered" to help slow it down. If I do this even just twice, I feel SO much better.

I also look at what's stressing me and determine what I can do about it.  There is a saying about worry that I try to live by.  To paraphrase, it basically says if you're worried (or stressed) determine what you can do about the thing worrying you.  If you can do something about it, stop worrying and take action.  If you can't do anything about it, stop worrying because the worry won't change anything.

Maybe some relaxation tapes/CDs to play in the car on your commute or audio books that you're interested in will help.

Plenty of water and exercise are both proven to help stress.  Even a tiny bit of exercise.....walk to lunch instead of driving, do squats while taking things out of the dryer, all sorts of ways to work in a bit of blood flowing activity.

akgraff
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM

if your a coffee drinker try reducing that bc smokers associate coffee with cigs try some chamomile tea or green tea in morning driving to and from work put on some calming music, mainly ones without words while you drive like some meditation music, classical  or even your fav. book on cd.  Just remember that they make cigs with a lot of acid and some sort of fecal matter as well. your kids will get the smell on them big time even if you don't smoke around them, they will end up taking it in if its in your hair. Cut out your sugars eat lots of fruits when you feel the need to smoke even carrots would help. Do you drive on highway the whole time? you can watch the sights as you drive by (of course focuse on road) or you can use that time to sort out  your thoughts and think what a positive is to a negative

minneapolismama
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

chew gum and exercise, get enough sleep. sleep and exercise can cut down on the stress and keeping your mouth busy might help you not smoke. 

SexyAngelBaby
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Thanks ladies this advice is Great!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:25 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)