Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Carpet!

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay so you ladies seem to have natural tricks for everything! I had a friend over and his dog peed THREE times on my carpet. Well I rented one of those carpet cleaners and I cleaned my carpet 4 times. I thought it was clean but now that my carpet is dry I STILL smell dog pee! Any tips to get rid of the smell?

by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-ellie
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I have carpets and a dog and a cat and two little boys who love to be naked !! LOL I see alot of pee! Anyway are you sure you did it properly because steam cleaners usually do a really great job. You could also try sprinkling baking soda over the carpet and letting it sit for abit then vacuum it up.

ziff130
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM

For my mattress, when a cat peed on it, I used a spray bottle of vinegar (I know... vinegar's been suggested for everything). Also, I keep a spray bottle of water and laundry detergent under my sink for the carpets.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM

ya I know I cleaned it right because my carpet got super clean and such but the smell still lingers.

I will try the baking soda and if htat doesnt work I will have to buy some vinegar

Jennibug
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I hate carpet!....However, I have heard that resolve is the best cleaner even for pet stains.

kayeleven
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I have a friend who uses straight vinegar on carpet for animal/kid pee, lets it set for a few minutes, and then blots it up.  She swears by it.  I've also heard of the baking soda thing, but I don't know if it would be strong enough to remove the dog pee smell.  My mom has used Nature's Miracle (found at pet stores and even some grocery stores), and swears by it.  I hope you find something that works!  :)

VeganMuslimah
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I use the pet odor control cleaner when I steam clean my carpets. It's made by Rugdoctor, but seems to work just fine in my own steamcleaner. It's in a small red bottle and should be with the other rug doctor cleaners at the store. I use the shampoo like normal, I just add some of the pet cleaner to it. It seems to work very well for me, and I have one cat, a cocker spaniel, and a Lab/Great Pyrenees/Great Dane (so BIG Heinz 57 lol) puppy.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Thanks ladies for all the advice, one of these ideas has to work!

DestMasters
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Yup, vinegar. It works GREAT.  It neutralizes the acids that cause the odors.  It's best, when possible, to use it when the spot is still wet.  Blot up the urine then soak it with vinegar. Blot, blot, blot. Let it dry and if it still lingers, just repeat.

We're involved with dog rescue and it's not uncommon for a foster dog to have an accident or two in the house. We have tile in all but the bedrooms so of course, they wait until they're in a bedroom to pee. :)

The vinegar will neutralize all sorts of odors.  You can also sprinkle baking soda on the area (when it's totally dry!!) and let it set awhile.  I use baking soda on the bedroom carpets monthly and it helps with odors.

VeganMuslimah
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I should try vinegar! The pet cleaner I've been using, I would hardly consider natural lol... although it works. i don't know why I never thought of it before.

Momforhealth
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:19 AM

You may have to remove that piece of the pad beneath the carpet itself.  Go to Home Depot and buy a piece the size you took out and just replace it.  You are probably smelling what is underneath.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)