Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does "whole grain" and "sprouted bread" and why is it superior?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

Sprouted bread is a form of bread made from whole grains that have been allowed to sprout, that is, to germinate. It is often eaten uncooked, or slightly heated, by proponents of raw foods.[1].[2].

Grain.gifWhole grains are cereal grains that contain bran and germ as well as the endosperm, in contrast to refined grains, which retain only the endosperm. Wholegrains can generally be sprouted while processed grains generally will not sprout. Wholemeal products are made from wholegrain flour.

Common whole grains:

Common whole grain products include:

Common refined-grain products include:

Benefits

When grains, seeds and nuts are germinated, their nutritional content changes and, as they are generally not cooked, they retain their natural plant enzymes. These enzymes are beneficial for helping the digestion of the seeds and nuts in the digestive tract[1] . As well as retaining the enzymes, they also retain the nutrients that would otherwise be destroyed by cooking. Sprouted grains, seeds and nuts also encourage the growth of good bacteria, help to keep the colon clean, and are high in protective antioxidants. Sprouts, as well as being very digestible, are a good source of fibre and protein, and are high in vitamins and minerals. As an example, sunflower sprouts are high in vitamins A and C, while mung sprouts are high in vitamin C, iron, and potassium [1] Most seeds are high in phosphorus, which is important for alertness, increased mental abilities, and healthy bones and teeth[1] . Cooked wheat in some forms may cause mucus congestion, allergic reactions or constipation [1] . In sprouted wheat grains, starch is converted to simple sugars. Many wheat intolerant people are able to eat sprouted wheat bread without any problems.

by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LeslieFaye
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Great info!

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM

hm interestign!

ziff130
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Awesome! Thank you. I was wondering after the bread post. I was going to research it but you have saved me the work. Thanks!! :)

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Yeah, I buy sprouted bread, but I never knew what it meant, hehe!  So this is what I found in my search and I'm pleased that my new favorite bread is even better for me than I thought!

Vixiel
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM
thanks so much, i have been wondering about this since i joined this group!
H.I.S.
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:08 AM
Thanks for this post! Very helpful =)
boncork
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

You can sprout yourself and they are so good! Great for snacks or putting on salads, bagels etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)