Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Shape ups??

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am a cycle instructor and trainer.  I have been wondering about these Shape Up tennis shoes.  My initial thought is that it is a fad, but some of my clients swear they work.  I was wondering if any of you out there have them and do they really work for just walking around?  I walk a lot, not particularly for exercise, but just day to day activities.  Do these shoes work?  Maybe I can "workout" all the time if I had a pair.  I have to know they are worth it, because I personally feel they are really UGLY!  I have so many other cute pairs of tennis shoes, but if they really work I will be willing to invest!

by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pherlyce
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM

They don't work, it was in the news like 3 weeks ago and said there is no proof this shoes can do what they said, so your right is just a fad. One more thing my sister in-law got it  6 months ago and she said quote " she got scam ", I laughed so hard, well that is up to you anyway, and you said your an instructor and trainer, you don't need it, I am sure your legs is in a great shape....... have a nice day :D

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I have never tried it but I know some people who swear by them. They didn't walk any more or less than before they got the shoes and said the shoes helped a lot

runner-mom
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 4:03 PM

they may work, but my guess is that in the next year you are going to start hearing more and more reports of INJURIES from these shoes. They work by throwing your balance and body out of alignment, forcing your muscles to work harder.  As a runner who is studying and leaning more towards the minimalist/barefoot running styles, this is the complete OPPOSITE of everything minimal runners preach.  I see nothing but overuse and joint/muscular issues coming out of these.  I wouldn't wear them if you paid me.  So I'm with  you, these are a fad....

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

Shymama3
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM
I have them and they are pretty comfy. I swear they work out my legs harder. I feel more fatigued at the end of the day when I wear these. I would only recommend them to people with no problems who have good balance though. You don't need to be falling down and breaking a bone!
bandrplus2
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM
i would think they are right up there with the dr scholls sandals that were all wood and supposed to do the same thing
talentfox
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:39 AM
from:http://hubpages.com/hub/Shape-Up-with-Shape-Ups-Shoes-How-They-Work-and-Do-They-Work decided to add this note here after using Shape-Ups (walking in them) every day for 30-50 minutes through this summer. I feel great, toned, motivated. But! I would strongly advise you to alternate walking in Shape-Ups with going for a long walk in other, regular, sport shoes from time to time. After walking in Shape-Ups I noticed that some of my toes of both feet became stiff and somewhat painful. I analyzed the way the toes were receiving the pressure and felt that you put the most pressure on the front of toe’s cushion (directly under the nail front edge). Next time I went for a walk I used my regular (also Sketchers) walking sport shoes to give some rest to my toes. It solved the problem. Now once or twice a week I walk in my regular Sketchers sport shoes! Rest of my walks I am doing in Sketchers Shape-Ups! It gives a nice alternation for different muscles to work. Another way to alternate your muscles work out and use different types of muscles is to go barefoot! No, really. Go barefoot but without a fear to injure your feet soles." I looked at a few more reviews and they all mirror this one for the most part. Use them, but alternate with regular shoes. It's meant to augment not replace. I was thinking about getting these, but I don't have the extra expendable income for 100 dollar shoes that can't be worn everyday. I think my $20 reebok from payless/dsw? will do just fine.
DestMasters
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I tried a pair on, with absolutely no intention of purchasing. I already have some spinal issues so I'm super careful about what, if anything, I wear on my feet.  Just walking around the store in these was uncomfortable. Not for my feet but for my back and trunk. I'm not incredibly out of shape. While I'm not athletic at all, I do move regulary and stretch.

These will definitely force you to use other muscle groups but not in ways that are natural to those muscles.  It throws off your core balance and you're working harder to try to regain, or alternate, that balance.

Fitness is about making the natural more, well, natural and naturally fit. Not causing unbalance to force balance in other ways.

Just my 2¢. :) 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM

These are terrible for your body's natural alignment and balance.  Like one of the PP's said, you do use other muscles but NOT in a good way.

Fall 2008 babies! CO-Group
Owner

Chelles0202
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 10:25 PM
I am a nurse and have never tried them. But a LOT of nurses I have seen, wear them. One girl said that they made her back pain go away (from years of soccer playin/injuries.)I don't know, coming from other nurses who are on their feet all day, I really want to try them.
LOVES67
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM
I have them it seems to be working I use them around the house when I go walking for everything and they feel real good....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)