Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What do you do in your lives that is healthy?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM
  • 21 Replies

What do you eat? Do you follow a specific diet or any regulations? Do you have allergies in your home that prevent you from eating particular foods? Do you exercise or meditate? Share your secrets. :)

by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM

We eat lots of fruits and veggies. Occasionally we do have sweets though. I look at the ingredients and choose the item w/ the fewest ingredients. We drink almond milk and water. I do give the kids very watered down juice. It's just enough juice to give the water flavor. We only have 1 or 2 meat meals a week. Most of them are meat free.I try to exercise daily, before the kids wake up but sometimes that doesn't happen. We go on an afternoon walk (the kids and me) and look for treasures. :) I'm normally pushing a double stroller so that has to count for something, right?

I do make my own bread b/c I can't afford the kind that are high fructose corn syrup free. That is something else I avoid... high fructose corn syrup. It's amazing how many items contain that.

kimmykim
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Thankfully we don't have allergies in our home.  We try to eat as many fresh vegetables and fruits as the budget allows and we grow a garden every summer.  We mostly eat lean meats like chicken, vension and elk.  We eat whole grain breads and whole grain cereals, most of which I make homemade.  

outstandingLove
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:57 AM

We eat mostly organic foods. I try hard to stay away from things in boxes (which is difficult sense i'm only just learning to cook). We are semi-vegetarians and don't eat meat on a regular basis. Semi-vegetarian means that the only meat we consume is poultry and fish. Although, i guess i should really say *I* am a semi-vegetarian because i don't enforce that with my children. There availability to other meats is so limited i don't worry about it.

Don't follow any specific diet or regulation. No food allergies. I've considered the gluten diet for DS1 but i'm not sure yet.

We excercise all the time. I do yoga (usally) on a regular basis. Plus i like to jog once or twice a week. The boys have swim lessons and sometimes like to do yoga with me. We have a lot of physical activity. We watch very little TV compared to other Americans. I watch NO TV but do sometimes watch a few shows (Teen Mom) and movies online. The boys get about 1-3 hours a day of time in front of the TV but many times less and sometimes not TV at all.

I meditate. I like to do it right after my yoga while relaxing in corpse pose. But sometimes i put aside time specifically for meditating. I also practice Mindfulness which is a meditation that can be practiced while doing everyday tasks.

I also keep my brain in good shape by homeschooling my boys and regular reading. Plus i'll be going back to school PT soon.

ryaubzma
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM

we have mild lactose intolerance (me, and ds)... other than that we dont have any restrictions.

we go for walks as a family.. eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies (organic only).. we dont eat meat every day of the week.. at least 3 dinners per week are meatless.

ryaubzma
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Quoting outstandingLove:

We excercise all the time. I do yoga (usally) on a regular basis. Plus i like to jog once or twice a week. The boys have swim lessons and sometimes like to do yoga with me. We have a lot of physical activity. We watch very little TV compared to other Americans. I watch NO TV but do sometimes watch a few shows (Teen Mom) and movies online. The boys get about 1-3 hours a day of time in front of the TV but many times less and sometimes not TV at all.

do you follow a certain yoga regiment (dvd, book, etc) ? I have been wanting to get back into yoga, but the class I signed up for was cancelled because zumba had a better turnout and took its spot.

What's going on in our world? Stop by!

ryaubzma
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Quoting kimmykim:

Thankfully we don't have allergies in our home.  We try to eat as many fresh vegetables and fruits as the budget allows and we grow a garden every summer.  We mostly eat lean meats like chicken, vension and elk.  We eat whole grain breads and whole grain cereals, most of which I make homemade.  

what does elk taste like? is it very gamey? i thought about buying some venison at the butcher shop but I didnt know if it was going to be greasey or not.

ryaubzma
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Quoting ziff130:

We eat lots of fruits and veggies. Occasionally we do have sweets though. I look at the ingredients and choose the item w/ the fewest ingredients. We drink almond milk and water. I do give the kids very watered down juice. It's just enough juice to give the water flavor. We only have 1 or 2 meat meals a week. Most of them are meat free.I try to exercise daily, before the kids wake up but sometimes that doesn't happen. We go on an afternoon walk (the kids and me) and look for treasures. :) I'm normally pushing a double stroller so that has to count for something, right?

I do make my own bread b/c I can't afford the kind that are high fructose corn syrup free. That is something else I avoid... high fructose corn syrup. It's amazing how many items contain that.

can you tell me more about the almond milk? thats totally new to me. we do rice or soy mostly, but if almond is a healther and tastier alt to the soy, id love to check that out. is there a brand you reccommend? what is its price per box compared to the others?

gtwerd
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM

i eat low fat foods. i have to because i have digestive problems (gallbladder was removed etc.) i try to eat lots of veggies and fruit, we always have fresh produce available to snack on. im also allergic to squash, so we keep that out of the house, but its the only veggie we dont touch.

we rarely have red meat, i use turkey hot dogs, turkey ground meat, turkey everything. we also eat lots of chicken when we have meat.  My stomach doesnt handle fish as well, but we do have tuna sandwiches on occasion.

ziff130
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Quoting ryaubzma:

Quoting ziff130:

can you tell me more about the almond milk? thats totally new to me. we do rice or soy mostly, but if almond is a healther and tastier alt to the soy, id love to check that out. is there a brand you reccommend? what is its price per box compared to the others?

I don't know much about rice milk actually but almond milk tastes SO much better than the soy milk. Here almond milk is $2.20 for a half gallon. But, cow's milk is about $4.00 for a gallon so it's really not that much more. Almond milk is a little sweeter. The only way I could get my kids to drink milk was to add chocolate to it and that sort of defeated the whole purpose. Now that we've switched to almond milk they drink it all the time w/ NO chocolate syrup. :)

bandrplus2
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM
we try to focus on portion control more than anything. I try to emphasize healthy foods but lately with so much going on it has been harder to say no to the "bad" foods.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)