Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Disquising healthy foods?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have a really hard time getting my 2 yr old dd to try certain things. The only way shee will eat eggs is if I make french toast. She also won't try anything new and I have a hard time getting her to eat what me and df are eating. I try to make healthy lunches for her with veggies, but she seems to get bored with them. How do you prepare veggies so they are hidden/more fun? Eggs also?

Also any tips on getting her not to want to drink juice all day?

by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KorTai02
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Hmmmm... Eggwhites..I have fun with them and  color dye to  it.. pink  / purple eggs ar fun ....   Veggies... My 2yrold eats them all My  7 and 11 yrold would never touch them I usally  process alot the of the veggies in a blender and add it to taco meats , spegahtti, ect ...

For the juice  slowly start to  dilute it ... or introduce a fun  cup  with color water .. add color to it crystal light packets are good..  (:

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

There is a book called "The Sneaky Chef" that teaches you and has tons of recipes where you mix in purees and whatnot.

However, I'm of the belief that you just need to slowly make changes for kids, not hide it.  French toast doesn't equal eating eggs at all. ;)  Try making scrambled eggs (add some cream or milk and take them off when they're still shiny - no shine means they're overcooked) and let her choose some of the toppings.  Let her choose the cheese, maybe even help you scramble the eggs and mix in the ingredients in a big bowl.

The more involved kids are in the process, from choosing buying the food to having a say in and helping make recipes, the more likely they are to eat it.

For drinks, make your WHOLE family agree that unless you're at the table and eating, the only drink you get is WATER.  Then at dinner, only offer things like milk or whatnot.  No kid needs juice at all.

runner-mom
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM

get the book "Deceptively Delicious" it's FULL of typical kid foods (chicken nuggets, pancakes, macaroni and cheese, etc etc) but you "sneak" veggies in with home made veggie purees.  It's a great book!

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

outstandingLove
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I really try not to "hide" veggies in food. Mostly because i want them to like the stuff when they are older too, which means they have to know what it tastes like.

My boys LOVE ants on a log and/or ants in the mud. Ants on a log is peanutbutter smeared on celery with little raisins on top. Ants in the mud is a pile of peanutbutter with raisins on top and i give them carrots or celery to rescue the ants.

also, reintroduce reintroduce reintroduce. don't just give up if the first time you give her spinich she doesn't like it. try cooking it a different way and making sure she tries at least 3 bites each time you make it.

And if you don't want her to drink juice all day then make sure it's not an option. Juice isn't really all that healthy anyways, unless you juice it yourself.

I also try to let my kids have choices. I ask them what kind of veggies should go in the lasagna and what they would like for a side. i give them the options we have in the house. "would you like asparagus, carrots and broccoli, or potatoes?", for example.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I have this problem too, my daughter wont eat ANY veggies except sometimes a raw carrot. She won't eat dinner at all and it's a battle to get lunch into her. For breakfast she only wants poptarts and besides that all she eats all day is grapes and apples. She is 2 almost 3 andI don't know how to get her to eat new things. She covers her mouth and screams if I even show her food.

runner-mom
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

I have this problem too, my daughter wont eat ANY veggies except sometimes a raw carrot. She won't eat dinner at all and it's a battle to get lunch into her. For breakfast she only wants poptarts and besides that all she eats all day is grapes and apples. She is 2 almost 3 andI don't know how to get her to eat new things. She covers her mouth and screams if I even show her food.

That's how my almost 4 year old is. The baby eats his veggies no problem, but my 4 year old would rather starve than eat them, if the option is "eat your veggies or eat nothing" he eats nothing.  While I won't cater to their every whim when it comes to food, I also won't force them to eat anything, I believe that's another unhealthy eating habit parents often teach their children. So while I understand why some don't want to disguise the food, I'd rather fool him than he lose out on the nutrition, you know?  I'm all about options and teaching healthy eating too...but you work with each situation, as we all know each situation and each toddler is different.

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

Jennibug
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I agree that making healthy food fun and including her in the making is a better choice than purely "sneaking it in." At first, you may have to do a little of that, but hopefull as you try the other options, she'll begin to find healthy choices she does like.

She's 2, so be patient, but it is great that you are aware of her eating habbits now. As far as the juice, like weaning anything else, don't let it be an option. Out of site, out of mind. When she asks, just say "I'm sorry hunny, we don't have any. How about we try this fun cup with the swirly straw?" and then offer a fun cup with water in it.

My girls, 1 and 4 love to cook with me. The more invloved they are, the more they want to eat what they have made. You could try making "egg heads" use strings of cheese, veggies, or fruit slices to create faces on them

It's fruit not veggie, but one of my 4 yr olds fav snacks is ritz crackers with cheese and apple slices. (It was on the box)

Good for you mommy for making healthy eating priority. Keep up the great work!

LeslieFaye
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I wouldn't worry too much.  My 2 almost 3 yr old goes in streaks which may last days or weeks.  For a while all she would eat was oatmeal, then it was eggs, then steamed carrots. Right now the only vegetable my 6 yo wants to eat is broccoli!

I don't think there is anything wrong with working healthy ingredients into food, not necessarily "sneaking" them.  Let her help you throw them in the blender and stir them into the recipe.  I have a harder time with my 15 yr old eating healthy but she knows we have only healthy food in the house so she will ask me to make things that she likes and knows I will allow her to eat. 

We make a lot of smoothies.  Start with yogurt and add pieces of frozen fruit and berries, wheat germ, flax seed, spinach, almond milk ...

Whole wheat pasta with homemade sauce; tomatoes, carrots, squash,

Make your own pizza: wheat crust, tomato sauce, veggies, cheese (we made some yesterday with spinach, chicken, mozzerella, parmesan and wheat germ sprinkled on top - the girls loved it!)

Granola bars:

1c whole oats

1/2c sunflower  kernels

1c sliced almonds

1/2c wheat germ

1/4c milled flax seed

spread on baking sheet ; toast 250

In sauce pan:

1/2c honey

1/4c br sugar

2Tbutter (or coconut oil)

1/2t salt

bring to boil

add 1t vanilla

mix with dry stir in 1/2c dried cranberries

spread in parchment lined 9x9 pan, cool, cut

Purple puree (add to almost anything):

3c baby spinach leaves (cook 2min)

1 1/2c blueberries (fresh or frozen)

1t lemon juice

1-3T water

in the blender

You can also add pumpkin to many recipes.

Expirament and find out how she likes things.  My 6yo will only drink water if it is ice cold; my 2yo likes at room temperature.  While my 15yo will only eat healthy food if it is well disguised, my 6 yo only likes things alone - and has always.  If I am cooking something with chicken she will steal bits of chicken while I am cutting it up, but will not touch it once it is mixed in.  It is the same with everything she eats, so, now,  I just leave some out for her.   As long as you only have good food in the house she will eat what she needs. 

baby

DestMasters
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I agree with Rana. Letting kids help prep works wonders. Even very young can help. They can choose ingredients and if you already measure it out, they can add it.

I also agree about the juice. Water is so incredibly important and one drink mixes are added, it's not colored water. It's not water. Remember that the drink mix changes the molecular structure of water into whatever the mix is for. Artificial sweeteners are dangerous for kids (and adults) so the more basic, the better.  Everyone needs to be on board though or it just doesn't work.

We drink water all day.  Breakfast they can have water or milk/almond milk. Lunch is more water unless it's a rare treat of fresh juice and dinner is fresh brewed iced tea.  It's always been like that so they're just used to it.  Yes, they gripe, especially after being at a friend's house when anything goes. :)

May-20
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM
It can take 10-15 times of having a new food before a child will decide he or she likes it. You have to just be patient, insist that she take a bite or two every time you offer it, then let it go after that until the next time you serve it. Don't disguise new foods or trick children into eating new veggies. But that doesn't mean that you can't blend veggies into things. Just don't trick your kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)