Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Disquising healthy foods?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a really hard time getting my 2 yr old dd to try certain things. The only way shee will eat eggs is if I make french toast. She also won't try anything new and I have a hard time getting her to eat what me and df are eating. I try to make healthy lunches for her with veggies, but she seems to get bored with them. How do you prepare veggies so they are hidden/more fun? Eggs also?

Also any tips on getting her not to want to drink juice all day?

by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM
Replies (21-28):
LeslieFaye
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Quoting May-20:

It's the lying to the kids that I have concerns with. If you don't, then I'm not the food police or anything. It's your kid, after all.

I just make sure that there are veggies and fruits that my kids will eat available, and we add to their list as they become accustomed to new tastes.

you don't necessarily need to lie to them. The child is 2; she probably doesn't ask for an ingredients list on every food she is eating. I agree, the most important thing is getting healthy food in them. If she likes it, then tell her what is in it. My 6yo loves banana smoothies with avocado in them. When she tried avocado alone, she thought it was disgusting. I told her she eats it in smoothie and it did not matter at all to her; she still won't eat it alone; she still loves the smoothies

baby

LeslieFaye
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Quoting RanaAurora:

julipickle, that's the biggest concern.  Even if you hide fruits and veggies, you still have to make sure you offer just as many as you would even if you weren't hiding.  You'll never be able to STOP hiding them if you don't.

But more importantly, it's good to just learn how to make nutritious foods.  I put wheat germ in meatloaf, casseroles, breading because it's healthier.  I'd put pureed sweet potato in things for the same reason - added nutrition for the WHOLE family.

I don't believe this is true.  You may need to keep adding them into other foods but what is the harm in that as long as they are being eaten.  Chances are once a child really likes a dish she will not stop eating it just because she finds out what is in it.  It can actually teach her to like a food; she may start asking you to add it to other things.  And yes, do this for the whole family do not just sneak things into her portion.

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM

What I'm saying is that if you decide that since broccoli is hidden IN the food, you never need to put whole broccoli on the plate, you're doing MORE of a disservice than anything, especially since it's going to be a lot harder to get full servings of things if you're trying to hide them.

runner-mom
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Quoting RanaAurora:

What I'm saying is that if you decide that since broccoli is hidden IN the food, you never need to put whole broccoli on the plate, you're doing MORE of a disservice than anything, especially since it's going to be a lot harder to get full servings of things if you're trying to hide them.

I don't think anyone in this thread so far as said they DON'T offer the veggies...I know in my case I always offer them, it's just the fact that offered or not, they AREN'T always getting eaten...

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

4kidz916
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM
I never really had any problems. My kids all eat some veggies. They each have their likes and dislikes. I don't really agree with sneaking them in, if they learn to eat healthy early on those habits will follow them through life. My kids love egg whites. We use them for scrambled egg sandwichs, omelets, etc. Add a little flavor to water, my kids love that. I put water in a pitcher and add orange slices, lime slices, or lemon slices depending on what they feel like that day. It gives the water a little flavor withouth adding any sugar.
RanaAurora
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

runner-mom, I mean that as a "general" you.;)

LeslieFaye
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Something else my kiddos like is kale chips. 

cut up s bunch of kale leaves (I don't like to buy the cut up kind in the bag because they leave the center vein in and it is very tough)

toss with 1Tbsp olive oil

spread on a baking sheet

sprinkle with sea salt

bake at 400 for about 8 minutes (until slightly brown and crispy)

sorry if this is a repeat. I thought I posted it before but then couldn't find it

LeslieFaye
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Regardless of how many times you offer a food, there are some children as well as adults that just will not like it.  Though they may eat it in a dish. Like I said about the avocado in the smoothies.  And its not the fact that it is not that it is not offered to her. I eat 1/2 an avocado every day, so learning by example does not always work either.  My husband hates spinach alone but loves some of the dishes that I use it in and I don't think that at this point in life that he is going to change no matter how many times I set a bowl of spinach on the table. 

I think the title just has a poor choice of words.  She is merely trying to get a varriety of healthy food into her toddler, not trying to learn how to deceive her.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN