Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RE: Brown Rice

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 3:09 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have made it twice and both times it still had a hard middle, am i making it wronge or is it suppose to be sorta hard in the middle ? if so its gross and i will never make it again.

by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 3:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
outstandingLove
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 3:24 AM

you must be doing something wrong. i make brown rice all the time and love it, and it's never hard.

WonderMom05
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 3:31 AM
well, I have no clue. I know its suppose to be more water and more time but i swear i cooked it in a big pot filled it with water and put the rice in it and it was done but still hard. ugh* i dont like to try new food, i had to toss the first bach out ;*(
ziff130
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM

I just stick mine in the rice maker and I always put a bit more rice than I would with white rice but it's never hard in the middle. Maybe it just needed to cook a little longer.

JoyeAustin
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Yes, brown rice needs more water and a longer cooking time than white rice, and still it will have a firmer consistency than you are used to with white (shouldn't be crunchy though.) Your ratio for white is 2:1. For brown, increase it to 3:1.

It is WORTH it! Do not give up! Brown rice is far better nutritionally than white rice, but like anything new you have to be prepared for it to taste and feel differently than what you are accustomed to.  :)

minneapolismama
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

we use trader joes brown basmati and i rinse it really well first, then cook it per instructions, for about 45 minutes.

minneapolismama
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

and if you still struggle, trader joes also makes frozen cooked organic brown, white jasmine and thai  rice that comes in 3 bags, 2 cups each. you can microwave or heat on the stove- they're great and i use them for when i just want a little rice quick.

olgabillman07
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM
For a while there I was cooking the brown rice in a bag that takes 45 minutes to cook, but it always came out a bit hard in the middle. I've now switched to instant brown rice that boils for five minutes and then just sits for five minutes and tastes great. It's more expensive, but it's helped me eat it a lot more than I used to.
kelz895
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM

thats what i use the instant rice--for both my brown and white rice--just makes life easier

Quoting olgabillman07:

For a while there I was cooking the brown rice in a bag that takes 45 minutes to cook, but it always came out a bit hard in the middle. I've now switched to instant brown rice that boils for five minutes and then just sits for five minutes and tastes great. It's more expensive, but it's helped me eat it a lot more than I used to.

simple_ole_me
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I cook mine in my steamer. It usually takes 45-50 minutes. I use 1 cup of rice with 1 1/4 cups of water. I never take the top off when it's cooking either. It always turns out perfectly. Don't give up. Brown rice is excellent for your health... and mighty tasty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)