Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

How to...

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM
  • 4 Replies

My aunt had suggested that when I start my DS on solids, to make my own babyfood due to chemicals in plastics and pesticides and whatnot. Being as this most likely wont happen till after this December I figure it WILL be cheaper in the long run to make my own, but I still can't figure out the difference between organic and "regular" fruits and veggies. Any tips tricks or explanations for this would be wonderful.

Two Chinese Tigers sitting in a swing...

by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I have no idea, but here is a bump

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Quite honestly, baby food in general is unnecessary.  When you wait until the child meets all the biological guidelines (can sit up UNsupported, can feed self with fingers, is a bare minimum of 6 months old), children don't need mush.

The liquid mush honestly is a way to bypass the small infant's natural gag reflex and protective mechanism to prevent choking when they are only designed for liquid.  When the child is truly ready, they'll be willing to start trying to chew immediately.

Some really great first foods are very softly cooked steamed broccoli (the heads only), squash, sweet potato... things that don't require REAL chewing obviously, but gum and tongue mashing. Really, baby food only overcomplicates life for everyone.  When you eat healthy and your baby eats real food, you're never at a loss for food or variety.  When you go out to lunch, you can order a side dish of steamed veggies and feed THOSE to your baby instead of hauling jars, spoons, bibs, etc with you.  It's a lot less messy too. :)

As far as organic, I'll make a separate post in here that explains exactly what organic means, as well as the most (and least!) important foods to buy organic and why.

Lullababy
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

It took me a few kids to figure this out.  I did however w/ my last puree some veggies she stopped liking to mix in quinoa.

ETA- but she was already about a year.

Quoting RanaAurora:

Quite honestly, baby food in general is unnecessary.  When you wait until the child meets all the biological guidelines (can sit up UNsupported, can feed self with fingers, is a bare minimum of 6 months old), children don't need mush.

The liquid mush honestly is a way to bypass the small infant's natural gag reflex and protective mechanism to prevent choking when they are only designed for liquid.  When the child is truly ready, they'll be willing to start trying to chew immediately.

Some really great first foods are very softly cooked steamed broccoli (the heads only), squash, sweet potato... things that don't require REAL chewing obviously, but gum and tongue mashing. Really, baby food only overcomplicates life for everyone.  When you eat healthy and your baby eats real food, you're never at a loss for food or variety.  When you go out to lunch, you can order a side dish of steamed veggies and feed THOSE to your baby instead of hauling jars, spoons, bibs, etc with you.  It's a lot less messy too. :)

As far as organic, I'll make a separate post in here that explains exactly what organic means, as well as the most (and least!) important foods to buy organic and why.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
minneapolismama
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I made food for my son and will do it for my dd when she is old enough- i wait until 6-7 months. his first food was a mashed up avocado. he loved it. after that i would mash up bananas, pears and steam squash, sweet potato, broccoli, green beans and mash or puree them to a mushy but chunky texture. around 9 months i just gave him little pieces of soft foods. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)