Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Do your family and friends eat healthy?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

I think a lot of people find health overwhelming because of their influences - specifically unhealthy (or misguided) family and friends.  Studies show that closely bonded groups of friends often share similar health goals - or lack thereof.

Did you grow up in a health-conscious household?

Do your friends adhere to similar principles?

by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
minneapolismama
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM

my mom was health conscious but she remarried when i was young to a man with 3 picky kids. he stocked the house- we had a giant pantry- with sugary cereals, white bread, twinkies and hostess, mac and cheese, dove ice cream bars, pizza rolls, sodas, etc. we were never really controlled either, they worked and we ate what we wanted and so did the kids who came over! but my mom never ate that stuff and is very thin. around 20 i got back on the healthy track, i didn't live at home and i didn't buy that crap.

my friends are a mixed bag- lots are single, in their late 20s and go out to eat a lot, go to bars a lot, etc. they aren't the healthiest eaters. but some who have kids are super healthy- especially my friend and neighbor is from israel and she really brought their healthy eating habits here. they eat lentils and veggies everyday, tons of fresh raw salads, fruits, etc. her hubby isn't as good but she does lots of the cooking.

the hardest part is family bbqs and parties where there are tons of appetizers, then food, the desserts- i just tend to overeat the appetizers and desserts while socializing and do less of the healthy stuff.

runner-mom
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:16 AM

We didn't have a lot of money growing up, and my parents honestly didn't know any better, so I grew up on processed foods.  Frosted flakes for breakfast, snack cakes and bologna sandwiches with mayo on white bread for lunch, spaghettios, boxed mac and cheese, etc for dinner.  And lots of kool aid and soda! 

Not to mention we are a bunch of emotional eaters....soooo needless to say, when I left the house on my own, I ate the same way, because I LIKED that food, lol. So it's just been within the last few years that I've been conscious of what goes into my body.  But old habits are hard to break, and I struggle with completely getting rid of the boxed, processed, junk food 100%.  It's a slow process, but i'm getting there!

ziff130
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

My mom taught us what was healthy but never really provided us with healthy food. She was a single mom and we had very little time. She worked full time, went to school full time and played both mom and dad to my sis and me. We went out to eat a lot.

As for my friends, they generally eat whatever. They try to eat healthy but their version of healthy and mine are completely different. LOL!

yashira07
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Well i dont know in which category my parents are but i think it they were careless they eat why they wanted. some thing healthy others not so much. i try to incorporate  everything to my kids diet even when i dont eat them so far i has work great. Im working on cutting some sugary snacks my mom has taught my kids to eat *shrugs*

DestMasters
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM

It was so-so growing up. My parents refused to bring in things like American Cheese, Hamburger Helper, etc. They were pretty frugal and realized they could make things like Hamburger Helper much cheaper and with ingredients THEY chose. Still, veggies were all canned (not fresh by us though).  We did usually freeze corn and green beans so we had some fresh vegs.

As for my friends, most of them are so clueless.  They consider a healthy, home made meal anything that's created in their kitchen. Even if it's from a box and heated on the stove.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

my hubby isnt as into eating healhty but he is supportive while I try to and even is a good sport while I try new dinners

Elsasmom
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Quoting runner-mom:

We didn't have a lot of money growing up, and my parents honestly didn't know any better, so I grew up on processed foods.  Frosted flakes for breakfast, snack cakes and bologna sandwiches with mayo on white bread for lunch, spaghettios, boxed mac and cheese, etc for dinner.  And lots of kool aid and soda! 

This perfectly describes my family growing up as well.

I'd improved my diet after moving out of my parents house, but I did eat out a lot. It was the whole being a mom thing that drove me to teaching myself how to cook and ditching all the processed foods. Most people we're around aren't to the extreme that we are, I'll let my daughter have an occasional treat if all the other kids are, but none of that stuff makes it through our doors. So I'd have to say we're not influenced by other people, but we're also not part of a closely bonded group either. If we were, I'm pretty sure I'd still stick to our plan:)

RanaAurora
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

My mom always cared, and our meals were nothing like a lot of foods I'm only learning about (I'd never heard of Frito Pies or Chili Dogs until I was way older).  I guess my family never did a lot of southern food?  We didn't really do much of anything fried.  We had soda and whatnot and knew what was healthy, but there wasn't a huge emphasis on it.  We didn't have tons of junk either, but there was still enough - especially ice cream.

I'd go to friends' houses who had huge stores of soda, Little Debbies, etc. and always want some.  My mom didn't buy THAT kind of junk.  My friends growing up were the same, for the most part, though I know some of their parents did less healthy things.  I just thought of it as different - not healthy vs. unhealthy.

Now that I've moved out and have been for awhile, my family isn't really as much of an influence since I rarely see them, but they've made HUGE strides towards healthy eating as well.  My parents love the "Eat this, not that!" series.  They're buying a lot more healthy, organic and fresh foods.

My friends mostly live here in this little screen (local people mostly suck, LOL), and so it's a lot easier to find like-minded friends, and considering a lot of my lifestyle is around health (AP parenting/breastfeeding/co-sleeping/cloth diapering), it's pretty natural that my friends share my health concerns.  We all allow crap occasionally, but we recognize treats vs. diet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN